Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:
Moms with behavioral medicated children.

Have you watched the Medicated Child??

OMG well I watched it last night on NetFlix.. I can't believe there are children that over medicated like this....

Here is a little history... DS #1 who is almost 4 in December. Not vaxed, ate pretty much organic, healthy meals. Then we decided to move, and sell our big house and down size so I can go to college full time and DH can stay home with the kids. During this time, we started to see changes in DS, could be the whole toddler phase and just trying to figure him self out. But as a family we were eating out more, and allowing more easy fix dinners in the house cause we were just busy with getting things ready to move. Then we moved and lived with a family friend, and instead of cooking we ate alot.

So we moved into our new house in Feb... And DH and I were noticing, crazy tantrums from DS and so bad he was biting us, and just wild... I read about "the spirited child" and alot of things sounded like him... But I knew there was more to it. Our family MD is all about homeopathic/natural lifestyle... But I ended up taking DS to a homeopath to see what dietary stuff was needed to change.. Of course I knew there was things to be changed.

If we were to take him to a regular MD I'm 100% sure he would have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD... I soo was not going that route.

The homeopath told us to go gluten free, dairy free, red meat free, sugar free, etc etc.. Basically fruit/veggie, and chicken and fish.. All organic.. So we changed everything for DS, about 3 weeks ago now..

OMG OMG, the results we have seen are amazing... HE can actually sit through a educational movie and not be bouncing off the walls.. He is going to bed at a regular time... HE is acting much better not 100% but what 3 year old acts like a angel all the time?? LOL..

So after I watched this movie... I was really urked... I mean ok, I hate to sound mean, but the moms in the movie were cooking there kids things like corn dogs, and chips, and cokes (I saw a sonic coke drink) and saying how they were worried about giving them all these meds, but when they go to the MD, they end up leaving with another MED??? Not to mention they were all using Microwaves, and all the moms looked to be overweight (nothing wrong with that, but typically when the parents are over weight means the kids are not eating healthy)

On Facebook I posted my views on it... I do see where some mental disorders do need to be medicated, there are some kids with some major issues, but a 2 year old bipolar meds, and ADD meds??? OMG...
Well the response I got from a few friends, was that it has to do with Socialeconomic status... meaning that cause families can't afford to go to gluten free for 1 child, that its easier to medicate???

Ok, I don't get that... we are a 25k year income family.. We are not on welfare, food stamps or anything... and we make due and actually have a savings, and I don't care how much it costs to take my kids to a homeopath I am going to do it...

The gluten free does cost a bit more, but its for 1 child... It's really not that bad... And my families sanity is much better for it..

Sorry had to vent.. That movie just depressed me,... All those poor kids..

Advertisement

TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms with behavioral medicated children.

Wow, I have a friend that could really benefit from hearing your story! Her daughter can be really out of control, and the mom recognizes that it's probably a dietary issue.
Is is difficult to go gluten free for just one person? Or does the rest of your family eat what he eats?
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

Actually its not been that hard to go gluten free with him... I got a few gluten free items, that he can eat to snack on... But really things like baked chicken, green beans, mash potatoes things like were already in our diet... The biggest thing was PB&J sandwiches, he loved them.. Now we use gluten free bread, and almond butter for him. He drinks Almond Milk instead of Cow's milk, which is actually cheaper then soy..

They have crackers, and animal crackers that are gluten free, so I still have regular ones in the house, when its snack time they get fruit or fresh veggies, and animal crackers, he does not see the difference between his and his brothers.

My hope is to make the change for the whole family, once I get done with school and I'm making income.

They have gluten free spagetti noodles... So when I make sgetti, I make his with his noodles just enough for him to eat.. and then the rest is ours..

I have noticed that his appetite is alot bigger.. I mean every few hours he is hungry again!!! LOL.. So he snacks on things like orange sections, and almonds... and yogurt...
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
ecomother
Registered Users
seller
seller

I see what you're saying. How could a 2 year old POSSIBLY be diagnosed as bipolar!?

My brother (22 yrs old) is adhd/bipolar and eats gluten-free because he has intestinal problems and psoriasis. When he eats gluten there is a noticeable difference in his behavior (for the worse). He still has an unhealthy diet and smokes, but there is no doubt that the gluten affects him. I don't believe that his problems will go away by not eating gluten, or even by eating healthier though. They may be less severe, but they are not going to be "cured" by diet. But to medicate a person without treating WHOLE person first (diet, excercise, lifestyle, etc) is pretty ridiculous.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is speech-delayed, and I know his "symptoms" match the DS of a friend of the family who had an allergy to caseins. Since dairy is his fave food family, I'm not about to yank it entirely until we get an allergist's assessment. However, we did cut the bulk of sugar and wheat from our diets (to help DH lose weight, which has worked), and I have noticed some improvement in DS' speech. However, it's been so gradual I honestly don't know it's the diet or just him. DS has always done developmental "spurts." I agree, though, with your assessment of the "cost" of organic living. Kind of like CD'ing, the start-up costs CAN be horrendous, but I think the deal is most people don't know how to shop. I sampled things from my local grocer's nutrition section, but then ordered direct from mills with a savings of about 40% after shipping. There's also this thing called putting more work into your food with scratch baking and cooking, which I think (sadly) turns most people off.
That said, I do know I have to stay ahead of DS' (3 years) rest and blood-sugar levels. He's always been high energy (hardly slept as a newborn, but wasn't colicky) and temperamental, but if I make sure he's fed before he gets hungry (five mini-meals rather than 3 square ones) and try to make sure he gets his rest (not as easily controlled), he's very responsive. I know there's a personality/chemical element, too, as DD has been his opposite from birth.

I just want to throw out there that to those mamas whose kiddos seem to exhibit "elements" of ADHD, google "the Edison Trait." Some people call it "the hunter gene." Essentially 20% of the population has this trait, but only the most extreme cases should be called ADD/ADHD. Essentially this trait are the "divergent thinkers" who as adults blast through barriers and lead society forward, but their brains work so differently from the norm that they struggle as children (yes, the trait is named for Thomas Edison, who burned his father's barn down in a childhood effort to understand how fire worked).

Also, (and I say this with caution) if your (not TNFmama's, just a general "you")) child is speech delayed, but otherwise tracks with or ahead of their peers in all other areas (i.e., extremely social, so not autistic; has a propensity for puzzles, music, and other spatial/analytical/mathematical patterns; and has excelled fine motor skills, so little or no apraxia), then you might want to look up "the Einstein Syndrome." It raised the hairs on the back of my neck as I felt I was reading about my son but was reading about dear old Albert. Temperamental but very social; musical and spatial/analytical but horrible at structured learning (including math); elephant-like memory; didn't speak at all until 2 and no one could understand him until he was 4. This gives me hope (as my son is on a seemingly endless waiting list for assessment). I don't care if my son's a genius (although we've suspected since he was just months old; in fact, by 14 months he knew the entire sequence of plugging in our DVD and connecting in the surround-sound -- we had kept everything detached to avoid him overwatching!), but knowing he can lead a quasi-"normal" adulthood is important to me.
In all honesty, I think our nation's kids are trying to tell us something (whether or not they know it). I know that even in the early 80's as a country kid I was able to run and play freely outdoors through most of the year (makin' mudpies in the spring rain, yay!) -- Mom just had to see me from the kitchen window, and I was only 5! But today we have to keep them cooped up for their safety. Although I wasn't on fast food, I had a potato- and white-flour rich diet (we were pretty poor). Probably not so much the sugar, and due to our garden, my veggies were all old-school organic and either fresh or frozen by mom (big freezer in the garage, a blessing from God). We raised our own chickens and ducks, and frequently bought half a beef from our neighbors during slaughter season. So, you might say, "unintentionally" free-range. Not quite organic and whole-grain, but certainly better than today's overprocessed options.

Basically, I'm just suggesting that it may not all be one diet extreme or the other. I think it's the whole package. I know that (now that I live in the boon-docks and have a fenced backyard), my son's temperament has improved significantly. But he runs amock every day, "helps" in our little sq.foot garden, plays with worms and dirt, "plants" sticks, climbs rocks, and generally does everything God designed little kids to do. I just wish everyone had that option.

Last edited by Havah; 05-21-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: qualifier
Havah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEarthMama View Post
Have you watched the Medicated Child??

OMG well I watched it last night on NetFlix.. I can't believe there are children that over medicated like this....

Here is a little history... DS #1 who is almost 4 in December. Not vaxed, ate pretty much organic, healthy meals. Then we decided to move, and sell our big house and down size so I can go to college full time and DH can stay home with the kids. During this time, we started to see changes in DS, could be the whole toddler phase and just trying to figure him self out. But as a family we were eating out more, and allowing more easy fix dinners in the house cause we were just busy with getting things ready to move. Then we moved and lived with a family friend, and instead of cooking we ate alot.

Did it occur to you that perhaps all of the changes in everything from location, to routine, to eating habits could have effected his behavior?

So we moved into our new house in Feb... And DH and I were noticing, crazy tantrums from DS and so bad he was biting us, and just wild... I read about "the spirited child" and alot of things sounded like him... But I knew there was more to it. Our family MD is all about homeopathic/natural lifestyle... But I ended up taking DS to a homeopath to see what dietary stuff was needed to change.. Of course I knew there was things to be changed.

If we were to take him to a regular MD I'm 100% sure he would have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD... I soo was not going that route.

This is most likely untrue. Regular MD's really have no business diagnosing psychiatric disorders and should refer a patient to a psychologist. A decent psychologist does not diagnose a child that young with ADHD. They watch and wait. Aside from that a psycholigist can't even prescribe the medication, but will look at major life changes, the patient in the context of his peers, and family dynamics and routine before jumping to the ADHD diagnosis. He/she will also look for the behaviors to occur in more than one environment. (i.e. school AND home) THEN he/she would provide counseling to improve family dynamics and suggest sleeping and eating improvements. Only AFTER all of these things have been done and the behavior persists would a diagnosis come. A lot of psychologists don't recommend medication for kids under 5 unless the behavior is truly SEVERE.

The homeopath told us to go gluten free, dairy free, red meat free, sugar free, etc etc.. Basically fruit/veggie, and chicken and fish.. All organic.. So we changed everything for DS, about 3 weeks ago now..

OMG OMG, the results we have seen are amazing... HE can actually sit through a educational movie and not be bouncing off the walls.. He is going to bed at a regular time... HE is acting much better not 100% but what 3 year old acts like a angel all the time?? LOL..

The bolded suggests he may have been tired the entire time and that his behavior was more a result of that.

So after I watched this movie... I was really urked... I mean ok, I hate to sound mean, but the moms in the movie were cooking there kids things like corn dogs, and chips, and cokes (I saw a sonic coke drink) and saying how they were worried about giving them all these meds, but when they go to the MD, they end up leaving with another MED??? Not to mention they were all using Microwaves, and all the moms looked to be overweight (nothing wrong with that, but typically when the parents are over weight means the kids are not eating healthy)

I have not seen this film, but how many of them were really properly diagnosed? How many of them went through the dietary changes without seeing any results? How severe were the symptoms? And what about parental history? A lot of psychiatric disorders are passed on genetically..And are you aware that many times one medication that helps them to function may not help with the underlying anxiety or depression? Years of untreated disorders can lead to all sorts of comorbid conditions. Those comorbid conditions need to be treated as well. Are you also aware that often times, medications have to be switched out until the right one at the right dosage is found? AND are you aware that these medications are much harder to actually get for most kids than it was most likely portrayed on the film?

On Facebook I posted my views on it... I do see where some mental disorders do need to be medicated, there are some kids with some major issues, but a 2 year old bipolar meds, and ADD meds??? OMG...
Well the response I got from a few friends, was that it has to do with Socialeconomic status... meaning that cause families can't afford to go to gluten free for 1 child, that its easier to medicate???

Ok, I don't get that... we are a 25k year income family.. We are not on welfare, food stamps or anything... and we make due and actually have a savings, and I don't care how much it costs to take my kids to a homeopath I am going to do it...

Yeah. I don't get it either. It's not that difficult unless you really are clueless about handling your finances.

The gluten free does cost a bit more, but its for 1 child... It's really not that bad... And my families sanity is much better for it..

Sorry had to vent.. That movie just depressed me,... All those poor kids..
And how sad it would be for them to NOT get help or to be required to eat a special diet where they can't eat socially and it doesn't really help them overall?

I'm pretty certain that the cases you saw were extreme in numerous ways, but don't poo poo medicating a child who has a real disorder that isn't touched by any amount of elimination diets, dietary supplements, or organic eating. A child can be put through these things for YEARS while parents wait for it to "kick in." Meanwhile their social and emotional development suffers.

As for Einstein and Edison, they had SOOOO many problems socially. I happen to have a child who is 2x exceptional-both gifted and ADHD. I don't want him to struggle socially and resort to formulas and experiments in isolation because he just can't control his impulses and drives away potential friends. The anxiety that comes from having such great ideas but not being able to focus on them long enough to DO anything with them is devastating. Being smart is great but I'd rather have a well rounded, happy kid than an Einstein any day.

OP I'm glad that things have settled down for you. I'm glad that whatever you are doing, that your DS is doing better.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

OP, I am glad that your child is responding well to the changes. No doubt there are MANY children that would benefit from a healthier diet and more structure in the home. I wouldn't want to judge a particular family that medicates their child since I am not in their situation BUT it does some scary that so many young kids are given medications without fully researching and exhausting other resources first. OR at least using medication combined with other options.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
BugsMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I read an awesome article the other day on this. I think it is very ineteresting. Im so glad it is working for your LO!

I think the link was www.pecanbread.com...not exactly the same issues but very similar.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know we're veering a bit off topic here (sorry!), but I've done a bit of reading on both Einstein and Edison, and their social issues seem to depend on the observer. I know that despite his temper, Einstein had a very close relationship with his sister as an adult. I guess the fact that my dad very much falls into this category, it doesn't bother me to see it in DS. Yes, they're temperamental, and Dad can be impossible to work with between his IQ and unyeilding opinions. However, they both (Dad and DS) exhibit such compassionate hearts and jolly wits that it counterbalances the negatives. However, I don't anticipate my son having a large circle of friends - like my dad, he'll probably only have a small close-knit group who either understand or appreciate his idiosyncrasies.
Otherwise, mcpforever, I appreciate your comments about lifechange. We moved twice and gave him a sister all in an 18-month period, and I often wonder if his speech delay is partially because of that.
As a side note on making ends meet: some people have this lovely thing called student loans. Good or bad, the financing didn't seem unwise at the time for a lot of us. DH has only three year's worth, but it's seminary (priced comparably to medical school) ... yet when you graduate from seminary, you're pigeon-holed into ministry, and churches (understandably) expect you to work for very low pay to start. Now, I know this is not a common issue, but when you live in a high-cost-of-living state and your student loans equate to close to 15% of your monthly income, making ends meet can be really tough -- even driving an economy car and not having luxuries like cable (DH is required to have a cell and internet access for work, though they won't pay for it). So ... like I said, you do get creative!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
OP, I am glad that your child is responding well to the changes. No doubt there are MANY children that would benefit from a healthier diet and more structure in the home. I wouldn't want to judge a particular family that medicates their child since I am not in their situation BUT it does some scary that so many young kids are given medications without fully researching and exhausting other resources first. OR at least using medication combined with other options.
Thank you. I even mostly agree with this. Somehow the general public that has not been educated on ADHD is under the impression that it's all a parenting issue (not enough proper discipline, not enough proper food, not enough sleep, exposure to too much TV and video games) and that if the parents just step it up the kids would be just fine. This is just not the case. (There's also the other extreme impression that if you give the kid a pill, he'll be just fine and dandy and you don't even have to parent anymore. )

Research has shown over and over again that there are only 2 things that help ADHD behavior consistently: medication and behavior modification therapy. When these two are combined, the effects are even more positive. When diagnosed with ADHD, BOTH of these are prescribed. Not just medication. Not just therapy. Both. Because THEY WORK and are PROVEN to work.

Research has shown that diet modifications only work in somewhere around 4% of kids with ADHD. As a parent, who has tried diet modifications in the hopes that my DS fell into this 4% (this was when I was uneducated on it), it only seems logical to look at those things (med and BMT) that have a better track record. If you went to a dr and were diagnosed with cancer, would you choose a medication that is only 4% effective when there was another that has been proven to be 80% effective?

I think I need to copy the above paragraphs and save them since I find myself saying it over and over again. People just don't know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havah View Post
I know we're veering a bit off topic here (sorry!), but I've done a bit of reading on both Einstein and Edison, and their social issues seem to depend on the observer. I know that despite his temper, Einstein had a very close relationship with his sister as an adult. I guess the fact that my dad very much falls into this category, it doesn't bother me to see it in DS. Yes, they're temperamental, and Dad can be impossible to work with between his IQ and unyeilding opinions. However, they both (Dad and DS) exhibit such compassionate hearts and jolly wits that it counterbalances the negatives. However, I don't anticipate my son having a large circle of friends - like my dad, he'll probably only have a small close-knit group who either understand or appreciate his idiosyncrasies.
Otherwise, mcpforever, I appreciate your comments about lifechange. We moved twice and gave him a sister all in an 18-month period, and I often wonder if his speech delay is partially because of that.
I don't want my son to have a huge social circle myself. I think that a few good, close, real friends are much better than a vast array of acquaintances. That said, I do want my DS to be able to go into a group situation (think church, office meetings, etc) and interact with others without it being a struggle for him. (Or post his ideas on a forum without coming off as a horse's patootie.)

FWIW, my DS didn't speak much until 2 and then there was this explosion. He too has huge developmental spurts. Reading was another. He had all the tools to do it in preschool but wasn't quite able to make the leap until about 9 weeks into K. Then he exploded and now reads far above his peers. Looking back, he didn't even start walking until he was ready to run. His first steps were at 14 months and he skipped the 2-6 steps and stumble phase. He just kept going and was running within a week. I think his perfectionist tendencies combined with his ADHD hold him back a bit.

Last edited by mcpforever; 05-21-2010 at 10:50 AM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote