Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
3NavyBabies
Registered Users
Formerly: izynalysmomma
seller

What could be wrong?!?!

My daughter will be 3 in September. She has horrible eczema on her legs, arms, torso, even on her face a majority of the time. She scratched in her sleep last night and has a scratch just above her eye. Poor thing!

I can probably count on one hand the number of solid diapers she has had in her entire life. It is usually, more or less, diarrhea. I cannot tell you how many times she has pooped out of her diaper just in a normal circumstance. On 2 occasions recently, she was just standing/sitting there and it literally came up and over her diaper and onto the floor once, bottom shelf of our sofa table the second time. My just-turned-1 year old drinks just as much as her, if not more, and he can sleep through the night in one diaper. She wakes up, more often than not, in a FULL diaper and a soaked sheet. She has as many as 6 poopy diapers a day, sometimes one FULL after another.

I recently had her allergy tested. I wanted to try everything I could before I had her poked and prodded. It was traumatic for her (and me) having 4 vials of blood drawn, 2 out of each arm. She is allergic to mold and mountain cedar. They did not test for gluten, strawberries or tomatoes, which I wanted tested for. She is not allergic to nuts, dairy, scallops or any of the other things they deem "common".

I just don't know what is wrong, and I feel like my doctor won't take me seriously because of my views on steroids, medicine and vaccinations. I do want to change doctors, but it is not that easy with Tricare.

She was 7lb 4oz at birth, my other 2 were right at 6 pounds. She is 32 pounds now and happy and healthy and thriving. It is just the eczema and the diaper issues. Someone please tell me I am not alone and there is a solution! This doesn't sound like celiac's disease to me...right?!

Advertisement

3NavyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What could be wrong?!?!

if you still nurse her often, it could be your milk that causes loose stools, just like how it would in infants. she may also has "sensitivities" as opposed to all-out alleries to certain foods. may lactose intolerance? good luck!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
super b
Registered Users

My Mood:

Did you have her tested for allergens or just "food" allergens?

Was she tested for soy?

Cutting out wheat couldn't hurt, give it a try.

Is she getting enough dha? does she take any fish oil?

Does she get enough vit D?

I would make sure you are giving her organic food (if you aren't) and nothing with artificial colorings, flavors, perservitives ect ect
super b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

I've read a few things about that. ODS has bad eczema and did have the bad pooping for awhile but it seems to have gone away, so when he had it I was reading different things online. I know online isn't the best place, but it's a start.

A lot of what I read all went traced back to an autoimmune issue. If you really feel something isn't right I wouldn't waste my time argueing with a doctor and I'd take her to Childrens or another doc for a 2nd opinion. I know how hard it is with insurance, we have none, but I'd pay out of pocket no matter what price.

ETA: my ODS like I said has bad eczema and he's on med from his ped dermatologist, but he still to this day doesn't have solid stool everyday and he's not BF anymore. Hasn't been since he was about 8-9mo old. And he soaks a diaper at night easily!

Last edited by Crew&West; 05-19-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
3NavyBabies
Registered Users
Formerly: izynalysmomma
seller

She isn't breastfed, and I do not allow my children to eat soy. I don't like the estrogen and GMO's. We try to limit artificial colorings, MSG, hydrogenated oils, vegetable oil, bleached flour, nitrate/ites, etc. as much as possible. I have been wanting to get them on a Nordic Naturals omega 3. I thought she was getting enough Vit. D, but the doctor said she read a 19 on her blood work..??? She is not anemic. Yes, she was tested for other things, and she was only allergic to mold and mountain cedar. They said they did the "standard" testing. If they had asked me...grrr...
3NavyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would go see a naturopath. They can find sensitivities that won't show up on an allergy panel. None of my kids have food allergies, but they all have at least one sensitivity. Some were easy to figure out, but my ODD's wheat sensitivity, for instance, I wouldn't have figured out without the help of the naturopath.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
pcjs
Registered Users

I would ask to see a ped GI and derm. I know tricare has GI's as we see one on base but it probably depends on the base. Why can't you switch doc's? We've done it (but we are at a large hospital). We either just call in when we need an appt. and have them select another doc to try and if we like that doc, get on their panel or ask to keep seeing them till it opens. We love our ped. but she is on maternity leave (YEA!!!) so we are seeing another ped. no problem (we have seen this ped. in the past too as she has popped into my son's appt.'s so she's familiar with our issues but just might not remember us).
Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For Eczema My grandmother and my mother have to stay clear of foods that grow in the night and tomatoes or highly acidic foods. So no potatoes mushrooms tomatoes oranges lemons ect. Also if you have a local health food store with a nutritionalist there sometimes they can help because people get fed up with the doctors and often turn to the natural route. If there isn't one near you pm me and I'll give you my aunt's stores web site which also has their number. On their site (I don't know about any others because family discount and all I don't shop around Anyhow you can do a search for eczema, diarrhea ect. and it will give you products, articles if any and practitioners if any. I just put in diarrhea and it came up with 56 products 100 articles 0 practitioners then I did eczema and came up with 51 products 100 articles 0 practitioners allergies 68, 100, 0. Maybe it would give you an idea of what you need to have her tested for.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is a link to food allergies facts and myths
http://www.zerbos.com/common/news/ne...DE162FFC8CABF9
And about how food Food intolerance, however, is far more prevalent, occurs in a variety of diseases, and is triggered by several different mechanisms that are distinct from the immunological reaction responsible for food allergy. While many people often have gas, bloating or another unpleasant reaction to something they eat, this is not an allergic response, it’s a food intolerance. People who have true food allergies must identify and prevent them because, although usually mild and not severe, these reactions can cause illness and, in rare instances, be fatal.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
an_aurora
Registered Users

My money is on dairy allergy. She sounds just like my dairy allergic child. To confirm a delayed (IgE) response you need patch testing; blood testing doesn't do it.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote