Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I need a different co-sleeping arrangement

We co-slept with dd for a year and we all really enjoyed it. We only have a queen size bed but it worked pretty well. She either slept on my chest or I cradled her in my arm. With ds, we've been doing this for a week and it's really uncomfortable for some reason. I love holding him and cuddling him but this kid is a furnace! And I'm sandwiched between him and dh so I'm taking a sweat bath every night (even without covers).

We can't afford a king (though that would obviously be ideal). I used to have a play yard with the bassinet insert but my niece broke it so now we have a plain old regular play yard. I'm considering using that next to the bed but it seems like it would be a hassle to get ds in and out of such a deep "bed". What are your opinions on the Arm's Reach co-sleeper? I would probably opt for the mini because we don't have a ton of space. What are some other options?

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need a different co-sleeping arrangement

Can you side car a crib? use a bassinet until he starts rolling? other than that, I have heard a lot of mamas love the Arms Reach.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
RobynJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know a family that got an inexpensive twin mattress and added it to the side of there bed when they needed more space for the LO's.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say whatever you can get use out of the longest. Either a crib or twin mattress up against the side of your bed. Arms reach is nice but can't be used very long.
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Hcm1940
Registered Users

The arms reach mini is what I have and loved it for the first 3 months, afterwhich dd moved into the bed with me. It is still attached to the bed and holds blankets and toys for the girls to play with when they wake up. It takes me longer to wake up. . Sadly, we only have a queen, too, and I cosleep with the 7 mo and 2.5 yo and hubbie sleeps in the guest room. We are going to begin transitioning the older dd into her own bed soon and maybe I'll invite hubbie back, or maybe not so I can enjoy the extra room for a change. Lol
Hcm1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never let my dh sleep with us while baby and I were cosleeping. He moved to guest room. Baby slept swaddled on her side of the bed. Problem solved.

Plus, it is not safe to use blankets and pillows while cosleeping, so if you take them off you will be more comfortable, less hot, and baby will be safer. Swaddle baby and he will be fine. You can wear sweats or your robe if you get cold.

It is not safe to hold a baby while cosleeping. You could smother him very easily. Swaddle him and put him next to you and curl around him on your side. You will still feel and hear him but he will be safe. Dress warmly enough but don't use blankets or pillows.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
masja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have our Queen bed and a queen mattress on our floor. I have the bed with dd and hubby has his bed on the floor. Usually 5/7 days DS sleeps with him. This has worked good for us. DD sleeps with me right against me and under my blankets so I know what u mean about sweaty! She still nurses so much at night that it's easier just to roll over and pop her on and go back to sleep. We also have a pack and play with the bassinet part right against the bed. I've tried transitioning her to that, but she's so used to sleeping next to me that unless I want to let her CIO there's no way she'll sleep in there for long.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use my pack and play right next to our bed, I like it a lot. I do have to stand up to get her out but I don't find it too bad to do that. I like the fact that I can just look over and see her immediately during the night through the mesh, and hear her breathing right next to me. Co-sleeping isn't really for us, we're both quite heavy sleepers, but she normally wakes up for a feed around 4-5am now and then comes into our bed until 6-7ish when ODD wakes us up. I also thought it would be a hassle bending over to pick her up out of there all the time but it's fine at least for now. Once she gets to 6 months I don't know what we're going to do as she's almost getting too big for the pack n play and the crib won't fit in our room. :-(
Old 05-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
JnS Mama
Registered Users
seller

I'd get a cheap crib (walmart has one for $89 and has free ship to store) and sidecar it like this: http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/

I used those zip ties to lock the beds together, works nice and tight and it's cheap.

Still use it with my toddler. Whenever I want more room, I can easily scoot him onto the crib. Until last month, we only had a full bed, and it worked nicely. Now we have a King, and while ds can sleep between us, it's still nice to have that extra space just in case.

Ami
Old 05-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
Ilovecaseyandcoh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
I use my pack and play right next to our bed, I like it a lot. I do have to stand up to get her out but I don't find it too bad to do that. I like the fact that I can just look over and see her immediately during the night through the mesh, and hear her breathing right next to me. (
I am doing the same thing. My pack n' play has that high level thing and Samson sleeps on that so I don't have to get out of bed at night.