Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
shelby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Building confidence and self esteem in preschooler?

DS1 is nearly 4 but it seems he is going through a "rough patch" in development. He has always been our smiley guy, very happy, outgoing, etc. He started preschool about 5 months ago at 3.5 but lately appears to have become more introverted and seems unsure of himself. He always says he enjoys school, leaves with a big smile each day and has said he is sad the year is ending for summer break but he still, seems to be missing something.

I'd like some ideas on how to build his confidence without overinflating self-esteem. What do you do to build confidence in your children?

Advertisement

shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Building confidence and self esteem in preschooler?

Have you talked to his teacher about how his year went and what she is seeing from him during the day?
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
shelby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Have you talked to his teacher about how his year went and what she is seeing from him during the day?
Yes, they say he is doing well. Doesn't like some activities he used to, but overall he is compliant and appears to be making friends fine.

I've observed him in the classroom and agree, he appears to be socially accepted but he's very quiet around them. He prefers to attach himself to the teachers rather than the peer group and carries more conversation with them vs the kids. Normally, he's quite outgoing and boisterous, which is how he was when he was in daycare from age 1-2.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
SimplyGreen
Registered Users
seller

I'm subbing to this.. I have a 3yr old ds and we are experiencing similar things!
SimplyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is it possible to enroll him in a pee wee sports program? The Kid was like that and I enrolled him in a pee wee soccer team. It only lasted a month but he still talks about it and he really shot up in his confidence after that.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
shelby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Is it possible to enroll him in a pee wee sports program? The Kid was like that and I enrolled him in a pee wee soccer team. It only lasted a month but he still talks about it and he really shot up in his confidence after that.
I asked him about baseball earlier today and he flatly refused. Organized sports may not be his thing. He's a pretty sensitive kid and doesn't do well with aggressive kids (or parents that would yell on the team) for that matter. Not his cup of tea.
I'm thinking about a summer class that does gym-like games but has a parent participate with their child.

Last edited by shelby; 05-22-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The pee wee soccer program that we enrolled The Kid in wasn't really organized sports. It was more like introducing the kids to the sports. It was only about a month long and consisted mostly of having the kids run around and kick the ball to their parents. I had Ducky in the sling and played with The Kid, that's how laid back and purposefully disorganized it was. I think that's why The Kid blossomed so much in that short time. It allowed him to be with other kids playing around with almost no rules while "doing" something at the same time.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote