Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need help getting rid of 2 loaves of bread!

Oops...I thought I needed bread and I didn't so now we have 2 whole loaves of bread and they will definitely go bad before we would normally eat them. So besides french toast, sandwiches and normal bread stuff..does anyone have any recipes that would use a bunch of bread?

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help getting rid of 2 loaves of bread!

some breakfast cassaroles use bread, check on allrecipes.com Also bread freezes well. You can make PB&Js and put them in the freezer and just pull out a few hours before you want to eat them (perfect for taking to the park)
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
WiggleBean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just freeze it and thaw on the countertop when ready to use. I do it all the time when the bread I like goes on sale.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
masja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We usually buy a few loaves and freeze the extra, they thaw fine and taste the same as fresh IMO.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Or you can make a bunch of french toast, lay it on a cookie sheet (put parchment paper in between layers) and freeze. When they're frozen, put them all in a gallon sized ziploc bag and you have french toast on demand. Just put it in the microwave for a bit to warm it up and it tastes just fine (just like the frozen french toast they sell at the supermarket).
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Mmmmmm.... potato filling- saute onions and chopped celery leaves in butter. Mix with small cubes of bread (about 1/2 inch), mashed potatoes, parsley, and an egg and bake for about an hour. This is quite delicious stuff.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
newbiesmama
Registered Users

I make stuffed bread sometimes.
-Take the bread loaf and cut out a "trench" down the center being sure to cut deep into the loaf to create a bowl. But, reserve the piece of bread you cut out this will be the "lid" later on. Then enlarge the cavity by pulling out more of the inner bread to get a little more room for stuffing the bread later. Reserve crumbs.
-In a saute pan brown up some meat with onions. Sausages work well (casings removed) or any other ground loose meat
-In another bowl mix together meat, spices, reserved bread crumbs, one whisked egg and some shredded cheese. This is going to be your stuffing.
-Melt some butter in a small dish and add a little minced garlic (although garlic powder works alright too) Brush the butter inside the bread cavity.
-Place the bread on a cookie sheet. Stuff the meat mixture into the bread. Sprinkle the top with more shredded cheese, then put the "lid" back on. This is the reserved piece of bread you cut out earlier. Wrap the whole thing in tinfoil leaving the top open a little bit to vent any steam.
-bake in the oven at 400 degrees until cheese begins to melt.
This is one of my favorite dishes. I'm not very good at explaining myself so I hope this is written clearly enough for you. If you have any questions pm me.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Why did I not think about freezing it..DUH! Thanks mamas
Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually throw any extra bread in the food processor and freeze the bread crumbs for meatloaf or whatever.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
autumnstar
Registered Users
Formerly: staciestarsage
seller

My Mood:

ok, bread pudding.....

break up the bread by hand into chunks..place chunks into a glass(or whatever) casserole dish...Mix together about 8 eggs, 4 cups cream and 2 cups milk...add some vanilla to that mixture, cinnamon, cloves, cardomon...pour over bread chunks...if it's not enough, just make a little more...cover first with wax paper and then foil...bake at 350 til the foil pops up and the bread pudding isn't jiggly...

I used to make this at a restaurant and people came in just for it...I never used exact measurments, i could tell by looking at it, but that should be close...then top with homemade caramel sauce....can't give ya that one...