Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

When did you know your child would be a thumb sucker?

Well, the title says it all

DS is three weeks old and uses a paci occasionally. But in the past few days it seems as if he's trying to get his thumbs in his mouth. I'd really love not to have another paci kid. If he sucks his thumb I would be thrilled!

But is it too early to tell? Or can you usually tell if a kid will suck his thumb within the first few weeks?

Advertisement

CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: When did you know your child would be a thumb sucker?

DD was a paci kid, but around that age she was fascinated with her thumbs. I thought for sure that she'd be a thumb kid, but no.

DS won't take a paci and doesn't suck his thumb, but around the same age (3 wks) he was also fascinated by his thumb and I thought he would be a thumb kid, but no.

This is my long-winded way of saying, it's too early to know.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

3 months old
Old 05-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just keep in mind it's easier to get rid of a paci than a thumb.....
Old 05-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

EARLY! I think Anna was sucking her thumb by 3 weeks. She is now 2 1/2 and will tell me "I not sucking my thumb." Then proceed to stick it in her mouth and suck away.

I will tell you a thumb sucker is SO much easier than a paci baby. My first 2 dd's were paci babies and they would lose them all of the time, drop them in the most inconvienent places (say.... nasty public restroom floors ), and when they were really upset they would just throw them.

I wish Will would have figured out sucking his thumb, but he is another paci baby. *sigh*

Here is a recent pic....maybe tomorrow I'll add some pics from when she was a baby.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
BeBe Bottoms
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinlife87
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS is a finger sucker not a thumb sucker. He has never really taken a paci. He started sucking his fingers around 1 month, he is five months now and still sucks them! I know it is easier to get rid of a paci but I think sucking a thumb/finders is just to darn cute!
BeBe Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think there is a strong sucking instinct for anything at that age and hands are close. I have two thumb suckers, my first didn't start until about 6 months, and my second was earlier, more like two or three months.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife87 View Post
My DS is a finger sucker not a thumb sucker. He has never really taken a paci. He started sucking his fingers around 1 month, he is five months now and still sucks them! I know it is easier to get rid of a paci but I think sucking a thumb/finders is just to darn cute!
I agree, it is, but I have 2 friends who have thumb suckers (4 yo and 6 yo) and they can't get them to stop and it is really doing a number on their mouths/teeth. They are desperate to get them to stop - anyone have ideas I can pass along? (sorry - not trying to hijack! LOL!)
Old 05-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich*mommy View Post
I agree, it is, but I have 2 friends who have thumb suckers (4 yo and 6 yo) and they can't get them to stop and it is really doing a number on their mouths/teeth. They are desperate to get them to stop - anyone have ideas I can pass along? (sorry - not trying to hijack! LOL!)
I sucked my thumb until I was 8 and had braces to fix my teeth, but then again all of my friends had braces also and they didn't suck their thumbs.

I really would not worry about it. The suck reflex is a normal/natural soothing reflex and some kids need to have it longer than others.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the input! I'm REALLY hoping not to have another paci kid. It was just so exhausting to keep putting the nuk in her mout, find it behind her crib, and when she was mad and threw it out...well, you get the picture. I was a thumb sucker did so until I was about 7 I think. I'll try to gently encourage DS to soothe himself with his thumb, but obviously can't force the issue Only time will tell I guess!
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote