Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #21
reneesavona
Registered Users

Re: What is the least painful place to get a tattoo?

Any area that is bony/thin skinned or has alot nerve endings is naturally going to be more painful. I have several and for me the one behind my ear and the part of one of my larger ones that covers the area of my back between my shoulder and my spine were the easiest( but over my spine was excruciating). The worst is the one on my sternum, I would not recommend that for the faint of heart!

Since you have two boys why not something for each of them on each side of your back near your shoulders?

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd say upper arm, or around your shoulder blade. I know some people find it painful but overall the tattoo artist I talked to said it was typically the least painful spot. But DO NOT get something that wraps around your arm - my hubby has a high pain tolerance and he said theat when they got to underneath his arm it hurt like a ##@*#($).
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have one on my foot and shoulder...they both hurt but my foot hurt like heck. But after a while you forget the pain and you start considering getting another one on the opposite foot lol I was thinking about DD's name...
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #24
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I have 7 - two on inner wrist, one on outer wrist, one on right shoulder blade, one on my left chest (just above the heart), one on my lower back and one on the top of my foot.

In order of painfulness, least painful to most painful:

1.) chest
2.) shoulder blade
3.) lower back
4.) outer wrist
5.) inner wrist
6.) foot

I kept flinching and moving my foot involuntarily. I didn't tear up or anything like that, but it definitely hurt and it was also the one that needed to be babied a lot to heal up properly.

All of mine have healed up great, except one, which is still being difficult. I had to get it re-ink, b/c it had a lot of white spots and looked stretched out. It's on the inside of my wrist and was driving me nuts, b/c it wasn't perfect and was highly visible. I got it redone last Wednesday and it's still rough looking.

Last edited by MW69842; 05-24-2010 at 08:18 AM.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #25
imasupernova
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Moral of the story...Everyone pain tolerance is different. One painful part on one person won't be on the next.

mom to se7en rockin' kiddos
Do you Swag? You can earn FREE gift cards!
imasupernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #26
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

It seems to vary for people. My lower back one wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as my ankle...but even that one wasn't unbearable. The worst part of my lower back on is that it extends to one of my ticklish spots. The general rule is the thinner skin/closer to bone the more it hurts.

My advice, get one where you want to get it.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #27
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am NOT at tattoo person at all however I have had to get 4 dots that are tattoos for placement in a radiation machine. I got this done on Friday and my lymphoma is in my pelvis, so the dots are on either hip right below my naval and right above my c-section scars. Honestly they didn't hurt as bad as I feared. However I do know that they used an ink and then just pushed it in with a normal needle that you would find on a syringe. I don't know if that is what tattooing is normally like. I should also add that I had surgery last Wednesday and so I was also on oxycotin so that could have made it easier too.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #28
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz View Post
I'd say upper arm, or around your shoulder blade. I know some people find it painful but overall the tattoo artist I talked to said it was typically the least painful spot. But DO NOT get something that wraps around your arm - my hubby has a high pain tolerance and he said theat when they got to underneath his arm it hurt like a ##@*#($).

My tattoo artist says the same. Upper arm is the least painful because the skin is tougher and more used to being rubbed against things so it is less sensitive. There is also a good bit of muscle right underneath. I did not find it too bad where the tattoo wraps around my arm. Dh kept teasing me about how bad it was going to hurt but so far it doesn't really. The upper portion of my arm is mostly complete it and goes all the way up on top of my shoulder and runs down my arm including the inside. I will admit we were some where around hour 8 of work by then and I wasn't feeling things totally normally but I don't remember the outline in that area being too bad either. I still have some color to do there. My tattoo artist says that for the majority of people the most painful places are the feet, the throat (but not too many people do that) and the inside of your elbow. So far I have done my feet and they were pretty bad, but the tattoo is small and was over quickly. My forearm has been pretty sensitive, I have a harder time coping with it than I did with most of the rest of my work combined. We did use different needles to make sure it stayed very crisp and the lines are very fine. It felt like the tattoo was being cut in by a hot razor instead of the normal feeling of being tattooed. The worst part so far are the parts that come up into the bend of my elbow. It is also the hardest to heal. I haven't completed the portion up into the inner elbow yet, that whole area still needs done and I am not looking forward to it. The flowers from my forearm that are almost there were pretty rough. J just keeps telling me "It's ok, not like you have to work the next day." And I keep asking if that means he is coming to babysit or if I should just send the kids to his place or the shop.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #29
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

my wrist was painful. i didn't cry or freak out but it took a lot of concentrated breathing and distraction from a friend to make it through. The pain and burning travelled up my wrist into my biceps and my fingers started involuntarily twitching. But it was worth it. I wanted something specific in a specific spot and I was not going to chicken out. I'm glad I did it because I love it now. But it was NOT only slightly painful. And it was the one that took the longest for me to heal too. I had a lot of trouble healing from that one. I have others on my shoulder and ankle and they were much less painful and much easier to heal.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 05-24-2010 at 09:21 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #30
momof2jmwjaw
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone! I really wanted it on my shoulder blade but always heard that area really hurts. But I like that it will be easy to cover when I start working.