Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Think my 4 year old sprained her ankle :-( Advice?

She was at a party on a bounce house, SIL was supervising, and I ran to her asap when I heard her crying.

She sobbed pretty hard for a while, but then seemed to perk off and want to play again, but we soon noticed her limping and then she came and just wanted to sit and was quiet.

There is no swelling and a firm, inspection plus her walking on it, can move it etc. makes me thing its a sprain not a break.

This was around 4pm, at bed time she was crying that it hurt... so now I am not sure what to do. She's sleeping right now.

Could it still be a break? Does it sound like a bad sprain?

I'm thinking I just need to call the ped. in the morning? Or do I need to take her to ER? Or does it sound like wrapping it, elevating it etc will be fine?

I feel so dumb!!!!!

Advertisement

Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Think my 4 year old sprained her ankle :-( Advice?

If it's still hurting in the morning, I'd call the pedi dr & ask their advice. I have had sprains & breaks that looked exactly the same, no swelling (one time I walked around with a broken wrist for 3 days thinking it was just a sprain) & then sprains that looked worse than when I did break it so it can be hard to tell sometimes. I hope she's doing okay!
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

If she's willing to put weight on it, I'm leaning towards a sprain. See how she is tomorrow. If she's still limping, I'd call a doctor and see what they say. I've had bad sprains that I didn't want to walk on, but I've never broken anything. When DD had a simple greenstick fracture in her foot, she outright refused to bear weight on it.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for the input!!! Its reassuring to know that it's ok not to be rushing her to ER and just to wait until morning. I am really thinking that it's a sprain but I'm going to check with the doc in the morning if it is still hurting her.

I've heard stories of breaks appearing to be sprains and sprains so bad they seem like a break (had one of those...) ! So hard to know!
Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote