Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often do you play with your children?

I am not much for "playing". This is one of the reasons I wanted boys I have to admit. When I was a teen I mostly babysat boys and they were all so good at amusing themselves. When they wanted to play it was something like a game or outdoor running. The rest of the time they would rather focus on doing their own thing or on helping me with whatever I was doing. My friend had a daughter and she would just run me ragged when I spent time with her. Everything was imaginary play that was very intense. She needed sooooo much focused interaction and it isn't easy for me. I had a very hard time telling her no so spending the weekend with her was exhausting. My friend swore I was R's favorite toy. I love to be hands on with my kids, but I am just not good at that sort of play, it takes a lot out of me.

Even though Kearnan was an only child for a long time he really preferred playing alone. He liked being read to and he liked to play games with me but then he would go off and play with his toys. Tharen has Kearnan so he needs me less. He is demanding when Kearnan is away though. He plays by himself but wants to be in the same room as some one else. So when Kearnan was in school Tharen followed me around the house a lot. Probably why he is so interested in cleaning. Tharen likes to be talking to some one all of the time. I wouldn't say I play with my kids alot, but I do interact with them. I read to them, home school them, talk to them, listen to music with them, do crafts with them, take them to the park, take them on walks, jump on the trampoline and play some games with them. But when it comes to getting down in the playroom and playing with toys I'm just not the ideal person for it. Dh is better for that sort of thing.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My girls usually are content playing with eachother.
However, I interact with them as much as possible!

We play games, color, read, cook, clean, sing, dance. However, I SUCK at playing barbies...I just can't get into it!

I also try to give individual time. When one girl is in the shower, I devote that time to the non shower'er....Then trade off when the other one gets in the shower!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
Shaunam
Registered Users

I don't play much. When DS was a toddler I felt really bad about it because I would try but I would be SO bored stacking blocks and pushing trains around with him. I thought I was just a bad mom. Then I realized, I'm his mom, not his playmate. I had to work on it a little to get him to play independently, but he's ok with it now. I do play, just not every time he asks and certainly not to the point that it affects housework or "me" time (every mom needs it!).

DD is a little different because she can't really play independently or entertain herself. I do play more with her but I also let her watch more TV than most kids (hey if you can't walk, talk or play a little extra tv won't kill you).

I read to them, cuddle with them, talk to them, eat with them, do crafts with them, take them for walks, and take care of them. I think they'll survive if I don't do itsy bitsy spider 50 times a day or if I get bored with transformers after 5 minutes.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
angbaby1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 2 and I try to either have him 'help me' he's a worker bee or i do one thing for me (me meaning the laundry the cooking cleaning etc..) then one or two things for him and go back and forth, but I make certain to take him outside and places and make his time as long as possible usually 1-2 hrs. it's not easy I know but they just want your attention and all of our to do's can wait until that inbetween you know? then agian I don't talk on the phone much either and i think that takes away a lot of time and attention from them too wihtout noticing it you know?

i should also add DS is big on his free play time, he's very good on his own, and that's a good thing because #2 is coming soon so it will be even harder for me. do you have any family or sitters that can come over and play with him for a hr once in a while? might make you feel less guilty.

Last edited by angbaby1; 05-24-2010 at 11:18 AM.
angbaby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
The3McCoys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We play all day too. We do learning and then playing. But I save all my household chores for nap time or at night when they are sleeping. I cook a lot, so I get my kiddos involved in cooking. But I think interaction with Children is very important. as a child I didn't get much because I was the baby and had two older siblings. My parents where too busy with the other two or working and I still to this day have resentment towards them. So I put house hold chores and such aside. My kids come first. After all who cares if there are dishes in the sink?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:

Okay you mama's made me feel much better! I interact with them a ton. We go for walks, color, run around outside, she helps with some chores every now and again, we read everyday, play bored games, eye spy (her favorite!) you get the picture. I was feeling horrible because I didn't have enough time to actually sit there for 30 or more minutes and play dolls everyday all day. Thats what it used to be like before ds was born hehe.

Shes very into the imagination playing, and like a PP stated it does take a lot out of someone. It is so hard to keep up with her imagination. I'm also staying with my parents at the moment, dh and I are having some time apart so I can heal emotionally so she gets to interact with my parents as well. She loves my step dad and he get right into playing with her most days. Gotta love grandparents.

Thank you mamas for your replies. You made me feel a lot better.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The3McCoys View Post
We play all day too. We do learning and then playing. But I save all my household chores for nap time or at night when they are sleeping. I cook a lot, so I get my kiddos involved in cooking. But I think interaction with Children is very important. as a child I didn't get much because I was the baby and had two older siblings. My parents where too busy with the other two or working and I still to this day have resentment towards them. So I put house hold chores and such aside. My kids come first. After all who cares if there are dishes in the sink?
Mama do you get anytime to yourself though?? I like to make my evening after baths and story for myself. I like to catch up on emails and talk with family on facebook. Thats what I normally do when the kids are sleeping.
My 4 year old doesn't nap. She hasn't napped since she was 3. DS naps but always on me. We do attachment parenting with him, hes always on me unless hes playing with sis or me on the floor. haha, it sucks but nothing better then cuddling my little man while he sleeps. I love it. I did the same with dd.
I do agree though, I try not to let little chores interfere with time with my kids, but being OCD and freaking out about stupid small stuff is hard. Especially when you have a husband who needs to have a clean house. Hes very OCD sometimes and freaks at the smallest messes. Honestly I think I got my PPD from him, he wasn't supportive in the beginning and I did everything by myself. Sorry off topic
Old 05-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
The3McCoys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM&W View Post
Mama do you get anytime to yourself though?? I like to make my evening after baths and story for myself. I like to catch up on emails and talk with family on facebook. Thats what I normally do when the kids are sleeping.
My 4 year old doesn't nap. She hasn't napped since she was 3. DS naps but always on me. We do attachment parenting with him, hes always on me unless hes playing with sis or me on the floor. haha, it sucks but nothing better then cuddling my little man while he sleeps. I love it. I did the same with dd.
I do agree though, I try not to let little chores interfere with time with my kids, but being OCD and freaking out about stupid small stuff is hard. Especially when you have a husband who needs to have a clean house. Hes very OCD sometimes and freaks at the smallest messes. Honestly I think I got my PPD from him, he wasn't supportive in the beginning and I did everything by myself. Sorry off topic
I check my emails/facebook/DS through out the day when we take small breaks. My "Me'" Time is when I am sleeping or when I clean the house I use DH laptop in the kitchen so I can read whatever while cooking or doing dishes. If I want to read a book I wait for the kids to go to bed. I want them to know they have my attention and I am here for them 100%. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me. DH and I also don't do Date nights with out the kids. I have panic attacks when I am away from them. We did go out to dinner on Saturday night with out them, and 45 minutes in I was ready to go back home. We practice Attachment parenting too

Last edited by The3McCoys; 05-24-2010 at 01:11 PM.
The3McCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #19
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't do date nights either. I think we've been on 2 but never without our youngest. and its not really fun because I'm always wondering what shes doing haha. But shes stayed the night at my moms a couple times when I needed a well deserved break. she did well with it and she was like a new kid when she got home.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #20
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I play with them fairly often during the day. I never watch tv or am on the computer when they are awake. I do however nurse the baby, get them lunch, go work out, take them to their activities, clean the house, etc.

This afternoon I was in the middle of cleaning the family room and dd3 asked if I wanted to play go fish. I told her I will play when I finish cleaning the room and then she went ahead and "dealt" the cards. (She is 2 and gave me 2 cards and took the rest herself.) I hadn't realized she had done this and she proceeded to ask me if I had a certain card. I truthfully responded "no, I don't." She told me to tell her "go fish." So I did. She asked me for more cards and I responded "no, go fish." Then, she asked for a certain card and again.....I said the same thing and she said "yes, you do...it is right here and pointed to my pile of 2 cards." I then realized she was actually playing with me when I was cleaning.