Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
karebear107
Registered Users

My Mood:
How to get DD to give up binky

Thought I'd see if any of you mamas have any advice on getting LO to give up his/her pacifier. My DD is 26 months and she has always been particular about the type of binky she would use (playtex ortho pro), but ever since she learned her colors, she will only accept a pink one. The things are like $4.50 for a two pack that includes a pink pacifier and a purple pacifier. She won't even use the purple one. She bites holes in them and then gets mad because they don't work right and she tends to lose them frequently. We are spending a small fortune to keep up this habit and would like to stop, however bedtime and riding in the car are impossible without a DD approved bink. Can anyone relate? How did you get your LO to give up his or her pacifier?

Advertisement

karebear107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to get DD to give up binky

Luckily, my DS never found the affinity for pacifiers that I did. My mother put me to bed with 5 of them...one in my mouth, and one in each corner of the bed, and in the morning I would wake up with all 5 of them in my fists, sucking on one, and then the next.....Anyhow, my mother broke me of them, by gathering up all my pacis while I was napping. She tucked them away in a cabinet, j.i.c, her plan backfired. When I awoke and was looking for them, she told me that the dog ate them all while I was napping. Strangely enough, I didn't kick the dog, and I accepted that they were gone for good.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When Tharen started biting his pacis I said it was time for them to go. It just isn't safe at that point cause they could swallow a piece. I switched him from his Playtex orthos that he chewed straight through to Soothies toddlers which are safe to chew on. He didn't like them as well and eventually just gave them up altogether. I think it was easier for him because he had a lovey to get him through the transition. Unfortunately he started chewing on his fingers. Not sure how to get that habit broken, apparently dh did it as a child too.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

I got really lucky with my son in that he gave up his paci on his own at 8 months, but my daughter was a different story. I think she'd STILL have one if we'd let her (sucking on it doing first grade work! LOL Funny mental picture...) We ultimately took the thing away from her when she was 16 months old, and the way we did it was just to take it away and never give it back. After about a day of screaming and one difficult bedtime, she had forgotten all about it. I highly recommend going cold turkey like that. It's quick, and relatively painless for everyone involved.
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
geewhiz
Registered Users
geewhizdiapers

try buying the wrong size. it won't be the same and may annoy her enough to quit...maybe
Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
kittyn
Registered Users
seller

I just tossed 'em. He was upset for a day or two, then started using his fingers. Which he stopped on his own about the time he figured out some things are easier with both hands free, and was given his very own set of crayons to lug around and color with.
kittyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLiberty View Post
We ultimately took the thing away from her when she was 16 months old, and the way we did it was just to take it away and never give it back. After about a day of screaming and one difficult bedtime, she had forgotten all about it. I highly recommend going cold turkey like that. It's quick, and relatively painless for everyone involved.
We did this as well, except DS was about 25 months old. Just like the PP, we had a day or two of tough nap times and bed times, but after 2 days, he was over it.