Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Blender needed...mom can't take hers apart to wash

My mom is crazy about cleanliness and neatness...except with her blender. When I am over there I take it apart and bleach it because it is all MOLDY inside between the rubber washer and base. Ick!! She makes my dad a breakfast smoothie every morning, so they regularly use a moldy blender. It gets moldy because she can't take it apart--her hands just arent big or strong enough. Dad wouldn't remember to help.

Big problem being is that dad is having a transplant soon. His immune system will be nil soon! As moldy blender will become dangerous but they don't get it...

So, any recommendations on a blender that is easily taken apart? The magic bullet was too small for them..

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Blender needed...mom can't take hers apart to wash

Not sure if this will help but if ours is extra tight I stick the cup part back in the base and twist it opposite direction than you should and kinda pull while putting very slight pressure on the base. It loosens it right up. Just an idea.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's a good idea, but her hand strength is an issue--she won't admit it but I think she has arthritis. She also is just fine with the blender the way it is--figures it hasn't killed anyone yet so it will be ok. It won't be after the transplant though, and she doesn't really get it.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
pepsichic9115
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom bought a ninja. She loves it and uses it to make smooties for herself and her boyfiend every day. However, I don't know how it compares in size to the magic bullet. I just know she recommends it to everyone
Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethan_77 View Post
It's a good idea, but her hand strength is an issue--she won't admit it but I think she has arthritis. She also is just fine with the blender the way it is--figures it hasn't killed anyone yet so it will be ok. It won't be after the transplant though, and she doesn't really get it.
It really doesn't take much hand strength that way. More upper arm strength. But if she has arthritis that could be affected to. Maybe just have her try it once after you do and see if she can do it. If it has a thin handle like mine she might be able to. My blender is on 30+ years old. It is from the 70's. But ex can get the parts on tight. Darn him!
Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Cussin' Crafter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Magic Bullet. All the way. It is perfect for smoothies and many other things. The magic bullet I got came with 4 containers that you make the smoothie right in--it also had thermos type covers, 2 different sized blender cups, a bunch of lids, 2 different blades, and a small sized blender attachment. It is very reasonably priced, I got mine at Costco and they have a wonderful return policy--which I was concerned about because I wasn't sure if I would like the Magic Bullet. It's a breeze to clean, everything easily unscrews and can be washed by hand or in a dishwasher.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
teal
Registered Users

I second the idea of turning the container the opposite direction in the base to get the end off. It is SO easy that way, barely any strength required at all. Try it yourself before showing your mom... I also have a broly hubby who considers it a manly thing to put the blender parts on as though they're never coming apart ever again.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about an immersion blender? Like THIS one. I have one that I bought years ago at Linens and Things and I love it! I dont have all those items with the blender except for the container with the lid. I make smoothies in it all the time for my twins. The end of my twists off but it's not on tight like a regular blender. Your mom can use her blender for more than just smoothies too. You can use it to blend things on the stove cause you don't need a separate bowl.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote