Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Getting a strong willed child to sleep by themselves.. in a nice way

I am not one who ever thought cry it out would be an option but I'm at my breaking point and really thinking I might need it. My DD is 8 months old and from what I've read its an ok time to try it.
My problem is she is still waking 4 times a night and my migraines are becoming a daily problem from the lack of sleep. Not to mention I'm on edge all day with my other 3 children which isn't fair to them.
Today DD has been up since 7 am and not taken a nap yet some 6 1/2 hours later. She feel asleep nursing as usual at 9 am but then woke up in her crib. I tried to nurse her back to sleep but it didn't work. SO I let her play in her crib until she fussed. Tried to nurse again but no go so I let her cry a bit again. Well after longer than I was comfortable with I let her get up. At 1 I got her back to sleep with nursing and she was pretty out of it but as soon as she hit the crib she was up again.. right now she's in there crying but I know she needs to sleep. What other options are there really? Can't stay in there and nurse her for her 3 hour nap which she needs at this point.
Ack!! Seriously don't know how to handle this little girl who is strong willed for an 8 month old. LOL

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
rah0315
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting a strong willed child to sleep by themselves.. in a nice way

Can you wear her? Maybe nurse her to sleep, get her snug and go about your day with the other kids?

Hope you find a solution!
rah0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Wish I could but she's never really cared to be worn and is too high strung to fall asleep being carried because of all that is going on around her.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
mamaktee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the exact same issue with DS except that we are no longer BFing. I am having the hardest time trying to get him used to sleeping all night in his crib. If he is in his crib he will wake about every hour and he will not go back to sleep on his own. So I started bringing him to my bed in order to get some sleep b/c he sleeps all night next to me. Now I am having an even harder time ...so sleep deprived and also headaches . I feel for you mama . The other night I decided to CIO against all my beliefs and worries...he literally screamed for 30min. and didn't lay down once. Not sure if I will do that again...it is so upsetting for me. I hope it works out for you and you get some much needed rest.
mamaktee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Check out The Baby Whisperer. There is a book and a VERY helpful forum.

If you don't know about BW, you don't ever leave baby alone to cry it out. It's like a very flexible schedule. We have tried EVERYTHING....NCSS, HBOTB, HSHHC, EVERYTHING....Baby Whisperer is the only thing that worked for us. It was a lot of work but it was worth it. DD was waking up every 20-45 minutes at night when we reached our low. Normally every 1.5-2.5 hours. It thought she was going to kill me

Last edited by Skittle; 05-24-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Skittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
ciles
Registered Users

My Mood:

I probably am not much help- my DD didn't start sleeping the night in her own crib till over 1 year old. When I did it I had to let her cry it out a bit because she would scream and scream. Now, she will NOT sleep with me at all because she likes sleeping on her own so much. Each child is different so I know I'm not much help.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG she sounds just like my DD when she was a little younger than yours. Getting her to sleep was hell. It took patience and QUIET cause if she woke up as we were putting her in her crib, we had to start all over again.
WE used the NO Cry Sleep solution book. Theres a bunch of differnt suggestions, no one way to "train" your child, but what we did was when I nursed her, I started to pull her off right before she fell asleep. Then I started to pull her off earlier and earlier til she was falling asleep on the boppy, but not on the booby. She started to pull herself off and roll over and go to sleep! THen I would nurse her to sleepy and immediately put her in the crib. SHe normally rolled over and went to sleep. My milk started to dry up at 6 months so we incorporated a lovey (a blankie) that smelt like my milk (I wore it under my shirt of awhile before putting her to bed and sprayed some milk on it). She eventually got attached (still is at 2.5, will not sleep without it) and when she weaned, we were able to give her a bottle and then put her straight in her crib adn leave the room. She rolled around for a bit, but put herslef to sleep. SHe did continue to wake up at night, once or twice only but it was better than the every hour she was doing before. She actually continued to wake up once a night till a couple months ago. I know spirited kids are horrible sleepers, I was a horrible sleeper, and I'm still spirited, but I was able to get DD to fall asleep on her own with no CIO what so ever.

Sorry for the novel.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew Crafty Baby View Post
Wish I could but she's never really cared to be worn and is too high strung to fall asleep being carried because of all that is going on around her.
this was DD too. She was also never one of those kids you see sleeping in the stroller at the mall. NEVER fell asleep in her stroller ever
Old 05-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
mandyhoward
Registered Users

I think I've decided the 7-10 month age range is just terrible for sleep. There is so much going on; lots of teething and developmental stuff (crawling, pulling up, cruising, sometimes walking) that they just don't sleep well.

My ds started sleeping a lot better after I night weaned (after his 1st birthday), although he still doesn't sleep through the night. He gets up 1-2 times a night, but goes right back down with some shushing and, sometimes, patting.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like she is one of those kids that gets overstimulated and overtired and literally, cannot fall asleep. I have one of those and the baby days are really tough. We have found great success with getting rid of all stimulation so they can sleep. Black out curtain, white noise on fairly loud, swaddled (or partially swaddled), paci, no toys/lights/sounds in the room. I also found some great tips in the Baby Whisperer and Happiest Baby on the Block. It is very hard when you have other kids in the house. I know because I have an in home daycare. I have made it a point to have the baby in her own room and completely left alone during naps and this has all helped. She is 10months right now. I also make sure that she is put down BEFORE she gets tired and then she can work herself down and fall asleep on her own. The few times we have stayed out too late in the evening has been literally, hours of screaming. Once she is overally tired, it is next to impossible to get her to wind down.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote