Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Jessi621
Registered Users
seller
seller

Food ideas while camping

We're going camping this weekend, leaving Friday, coming back Monday. I'm really excited to go, but I have no idea what to pack for food I haven't been camping since I was little, so I'm lost. Will a cooler keep eggs and meat and stuff cold enough? I figure if not, I could use evaporated milk and pancake mix for breakfast, or cereal with Parmalat milk. For lunches and snacks I can take bread, peanutbutter, Nutella, bananas, apples, things like that. But what about dinner? I don't want to count on the guys catching fish, plus even if they do, dh and I are the only ones who'd eat it. The other family we're going with doesn't like fish and our kids will only eat it sometimes. Would we be able to keep meat fresh for 3 days?
Any food/meal ideas or tips for camping with 5 kids 5 and under would be very greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Proud Army wife and sahm to The Chickie 2/26/05, The Monkey 6/13/08 and The Little Miss 8/15/10 Due in Aug with #4
Jessi621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Cussin' Crafter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Food ideas while camping

hobo dinners are our favorite. Take aluminum foil and cut up veggies (potatoes, onions, peppers, carrots, etc..) along with a hamburger (meat substitute for us) and some salt, pepper, and maybe garlic and bury it in hot coals for about an hour. It's soooo yummy and easy to make!

We always bring eggs, cheese, and soydogs on camping trips, they keep well in a cooler, just double bag the cheese so it stays nice and dry. We always pack sandwich stuff for the car rides and enjoy things like fried potatoes, hominy, and eggs for breakfast (maybe that precooked bacon if your family enjoys that?). We usually bring a lot of canned stuff because it is easy to store, as well as dried mixes like cornbread or falafel.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
jugrox91
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
hobo dinners are our favorite. Take aluminum foil and cut up veggies (potatoes, onions, peppers, carrots, etc..) along with a hamburger (meat substitute for us) and some salt, pepper, and maybe garlic and bury it in hot coals for about an hour. It's soooo yummy and easy to make!

Do you use mustard to write your names on the foil :> It's the best trick my husband brought home from Adult Leader Camping Training with the Boy Scouts.

Another favorite from the that trip was monkey bread, basically canned biscuits torn up, balled up and coated in cinnamon and sugar and cooked over the fire.
jugrox91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
BC Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Milk, eggs, cheese etc will def keep cold and fresh in a cooler for a 3 days. If you are bringing any meat put it in your cooler frozen so it will keep longer. Frozen juice boxes are also good to throw in the cooler.

I make things like bacon and eggs, toast or even just cereal for breakfast. Sandwiches, canned soup, baked beans etc for lunch, and hobo foil dinners, hot dogs etc for dinner.
Prep all your veggies and pre slice cheese before you go to make it easier. Also fresh fruit, nuts, pretzles chips and what not for snacks. Don't forget hot chocolate mix and marshmallows!

I do most of my cooking on a camp stove, but the fire is great for hot dogs and foil pack meals. I also have a pie iron for making grilled cheese, pizza and fruit pies-yum!

Have fun!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
BC Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

double post

Last edited by BC Mom; 05-24-2010 at 05:09 PM.
BC Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
momof2jmwjaw
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussin' Crafter View Post
We always bring eggs, cheese, and soydogs on camping trips, they keep well in a cooler, just double bag the cheese so it stays nice and dry. We always pack sandwich stuff for the car rides and enjoy things like fried potatoes, hominy, and eggs for breakfast (maybe that precooked bacon if your family enjoys that?). We usually bring a lot of canned stuff because it is easy to store, as well as dried mixes like cornbread or falafel.
We call those foil babies! We love them!

I haven't been camping since I was a kid either but we always brought meat with us. We normally camped for 3 days at a time.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

breakfast -

pancakes. I buy the mix that just needs water and pack it in a baggie with the right amount for breakfast for our family. I also pack a large water bottle with the correct amount of water and then I just pour the mix in and shake. Saves on bowls and utensils.

eggs, cereal, toast, etc. Breakfast foods are pretty easy

lunch -

sandwich stuff and fruit/veggies

dinner -

walking tacos - I prepare ground beef for tacos before going camping. I freeze the cooked meat with seasoning. When we're ready to eat it, you just warm it/unthaw over a camp fire. Bags of fritos or something similar opened on their side. Add meat and other fixin's for an easy meal

hamburgers, hotdogs, grilled chicken, etc.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do the pancake mix that is just add water as well. Measured out in gallon ziplock bags. I don't need to measure the water (I do pancakes like this alot)...just pour it in til its the consistency you like. I also buy the jimmy dean skillet sensation for dh and I. Just add egg beaters (don't have to worry about cracked eggs).

Lunch is sandwiches (pb & j) with oranges or apples or watermelon (some kind of fruit that doesn't need to be kept cool)

Dinner is usually meat and canned veggies with a tortilla. The only meat I thaw is what we are having for dinner on the first night. The rest goes in frozen and helps keep the rest of the cooler cold initially. I dbl bag my meats but I am food safety nuts. My kids love the veggies straight out of the can so no warming required.

Add lots of snacks and we are good to go.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:

For breakfast we do instant oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, steak and eggs, chorizo (basically spicy sausage) burritos, cinnamon rolls, hash browns, etc.

For lunch we do sandwiches, hot dogs, canned soup, fruit, chips, etc.

For dinner we do steak, hamburgers, hot dogs, smoked sausage with onions, brats, taco soup, frito pie, tortillas, corn bread, etc.

Like the pps, we take lots of canned stuff since they are easy to pack. We usually take canned fruits, veggies, and some soups. I like to take a can of diced new potatoes and make a really good steak, egg and potato breakfast on the last day. I also take a ton of bottled water then add those crystal light type packets. I take orange juice flavored, coffee, the kool-aid kind and whatever other flavors we have at the time.
wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

Chili for dinner... Cook the meat (or substitute) ahead and bring along the cans of stuff you want to add.

Its soooo easy and depending on what you put in everyone will eat it! You could even make cornbread muffins ahead of time and pakage them to bring. warm them up on a fire in some aluminum foil.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote