Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help-She doesn't want to be swaddled anymore

DD is about 12 weeks old and just grew out of wanting to be swaddled which I figured would happen soon enough. She screams and pushes against the swaddle when she used to love it and is happy when we let her out of it so that's how I know she doesn't like it anymore. But now she has an extremely hard time sleeping. Any movement of her arms or legs wakes her up and this goes on ALL night. Last night from 7 pm to 6 am it was every 30 minutes to an hour that she was waking up. She'd go right back to sleep when we picked her up but then she moved again and startled herself awake. It's been a week now that she's been doing this. Did your LO do this when he/she stopped being swaddled? How long until they are used to not being swaddled? She hasn't been able to nap either without doing this so she has some serious dark circles from lack of sleep.

Advertisement

hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help-She doesn't want to be swaddled anymore

Did you transition at all from being swaddled? My younger loves swaddling but was getting too chunky for our blankets. It took about two weeks but she is now used to sleeping swaddled under the arms. She gets better and better at remaining asleep when the swaddle comes a part. It just takes time. You can also replace with another comforting item like white noise (a favorite at our house) or a paci.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Maverick's Mama
Registered Users

Our son LOVED being swaddled (until he was 9 months). We finally had to cold-turkey him because he was just WAY too big for the swaddler anymore.

It took him about two weeks to get used to being unswaddled. It was a very tough transition for all of us, but I'm happy to not be swaddling a 30lb baby anymore

Kelsey!! Mama to Maverick born 04/05/09, a cloth diapering, but otherwise not THAT green kind of mommy http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kelseyeb1986 [url]http://zoombucks.com/join.php?ref=kelseyeb1986[url]
Maverick's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

How long have you left her in a swaddle since she has seemed to not like it? Have you given her some time to get used to it and settle down?
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Sassu
Registered Users
seller

Does she sleep in your room? My DD was a tad bit younger than that when she started hating to be swaddled. She was in a bassinet in our room and when she would wake, I would reach over and put my hand on her chest - sometimes both hands so that I was touching both her arms. She would usually fall back asleep right away and after a week or two of that she stopped waking altogether. I guess it was something to do with feeling that pressure but not being tied up in a swaddle?? It worked for us, whatever it was
Sassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

8 months and usually still swaddle as he doesn't like it but he wakes himself up too much otherwise. I just got a woombie and it works great - wish I used them sooner - got the biggest size (even thought it said he could fit in the 2nd to the top) so he has some extra length. He still gets around pretty well and he can move his hands/arms around without smacking himself.