Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else have a ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM Cloth View Post
I must not be "with it" either if your aggravation is over the baby eating ice cream. I'm fairly positive all of our kids had ice cream at around five months or so. Everybody gets to do with their kids what they want. I can sure think of things a whole lot worse. If this is not what this post is about I apologize.
same here, i gave my son ice cream pretty early too. well, let him try it anyways. i try not to stress the little things, especially when they have to do with other peoples kids, kwim?

Advertisement

Child passenger safety questions? Ask me, I'm a CPST!
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't give a baby ice cream that young, actually only breastmilk at that age, but I agree that there are definitely worse things to worry about. Everyone parents differently.

I saw someone letting their 3-month old suck on french fries. I do remember thinking that was a bad idea!

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that's too bad, but I wouldn't try and get all that worked up about it, She's the one that's going to deal with the after affects of giving her child icecream if said child doesn't handle it well, not you. All you can do is what you think is best for your own children and try to ignore what people do with thier children, unless of course it's something that will seriously hurt them or worse. Ice cream will make thier tummies hurt, unless it's a deadly allergy, but I doubt it.

How do you know this allergy has affected this child anyway? All I'm saying is try not to stress out about it.

I remember the days of my mom giving my 2 month old DD tastes of milkshakes and I had a HUGE FIT. She had issues with milk products as well.. and I got to deal with it all night long.. I remember calling my mom and letting her listen to my child scream and telling her this is why we don't give her milkshakes.. my mom was like, "Well she liked it?!" DUH of course she did, doesn't mean she needs to have it!! I'm sure kids that have Deadly peanut allergies would love a peanut butter sandwich as well!!! Jeez! lol

So I agree it's not a good idea, but basically, that's just how some people are.

Last edited by jenn5388; 05-24-2010 at 09:42 PM.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

I would not be bothered at all, sorry. Dh has ALWAYS given our babies tastes of things early but I don't think it's a big deal.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

One time when my first baby was about 6wks old, my dad let her suck on a tootsie roll...I was soooo irritated becasue I told him NO CANDY like...ALLL NIGHT! It was Halloween night, and he insisted that she needed candy on her first Halloween.
This is the same man that put Chocolate syrup in my sister's formula when she was 2mths old! (my mom went back to work).
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #16
Maverick's Mama
Registered Users

I'm fine with babies trying foods out that 'they' say babies shouldn't. I'm not a go-by-all-the-books kind of mom.

But yes I do have family who's not all with it. At Christmas this year my cousin gave her 8 month old sips of wine...THAT is 'off' to me, ice cream not so much.

Kelsey!! Mama to Maverick born 04/05/09, a cloth diapering, but otherwise not THAT green kind of mommy http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kelseyeb1986 [url]http://zoombucks.com/join.php?ref=kelseyeb1986[url]
Maverick's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #17
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick's Mama View Post
I'm fine with babies trying foods out that 'they' say babies shouldn't. I'm not a go-by-all-the-books kind of mom.

But yes I do have family who's not all with it. At Christmas this year my cousin gave her 8 month old sips of wine...THAT is 'off' to me, ice cream not so much.
Yeap - that's a big red flag to be filed under the "off" section.

Marshall had his first taste of coconut ice cream (we have dairy allergies here, dairy isn't allowed at all - coconut milk ice cream) at around 8 months old - heck I'll be truthful - it was more than just a taste, he flat out stole it from big sister and chowed down He had his first taste of cake 7 months old at big sister's birthday party - the boy swipes food - he loves food and boob.

There are worse things in life to get worked up about - espically if it's not your kid.
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #18
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:

I'm guilty of giving my babies "tastes" of things...
TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #19
isabelsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think your original question was something to the effect of "Does anyone have family members who just don't get it?"
My answer is yes. There are plenty of times when I so firmly disagree with methods my family members choose that I have to bite my tongue.
BTDT.
Sounds like this was one of those situations for you.
My other thought is that this was a fairly young mother. I had my first baby at 20 and SOOOO didn't even know a lot of the questions to ask, let alone the answers. Perhaps you can have a positive affect on her? Be a mentor of sorts?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #20
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

as far as having any family members who arent with it, yes i have many. i have many family members who think formula is superior to BM (i had no support for the amount of time that i did BF DS, planning on EBF DD due in july and have more support this time!) i have a family member who foward faces her 6 month old in a 5 point harness BOOSTER seat also. my aunt is an RN yet tried to FF my son when he wasnt even 6 months yet, she said she had no clue that they had to be at least 1 year and that she switched my cousins (10 and 14) when they were only a couple of months, as well as put them in the front seat....yeah, an RN...you would think she has seen enough car accident babys to know better.

DH thinks that BM is gross but formula is not im 99% sure he will get over it though. he used to think cloth was discusting but now he changes DS diaper (EVEN PREFOLDS!), and last night he asked me "how much in demand is a cloth diaper store? we could open one up when i get out of the army...do you think that would be a good idea?"
Child passenger safety questions? Ask me, I'm a CPST!

Last edited by stringbean02; 05-25-2010 at 08:32 AM.
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote