Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Wow I might become a SAHM soon! Unsure if it's the right decision....

This is crazy...I have wanted nothing more than to be a SAHM for years and it might happen soon. I'm not sure. I'm a part time esthetician (facials and waxing). I work part time by commission only, but I have to be there even if I'm not busy and therefore not getting paid. I'm there for a total of 16 hours a week. The economy has really slowed things down for me, and work is slower than ever. I got my paycheck today and it was $340 for two weeks. That's before taxes. DH has been unemployed for a year but now has the opportunity to work for his dad for $25+ an hour, 40 hours a week. Right now, he is working on the 2 days that I am home during the week. So on a day like today, he was home with the kids while I sat around at work and made about $60.

We thought about hiring a babysitter so DH can work, but on slow days, my paycheck will barely pay for the $10/hr sitter. Today it would have cost my entire earnings. DH could have made $200 today. It seems obvious that I should just quit and stay home, right? There are a few factors that freak me out:

1. This job that DH can do is kind of temporary, since he is working for his dad building a house. I'm not sure FIL would have more work for DH after this house is done.
2. I have regular clients that have been coming to me for years. If I quit I will lose them forever. Then if I decide to come back to work, I will have to re-build clientele (not like it's that many people anyways, but they are loyal).
3. I don't make much, but it's still $500-800 a month, which is a lot. But DH would be making a lot more if he could actually go to work.

What should I do? I could cut hours back and work only one day a week, but the only day that would work is Monday, so we would have to hire a sitter anyways and if it's slow, then I'm paying the sitter to be with my kids when I sit at work doing nothing.

Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Wow I might become a SAHM soon! Unsure if it's the right decision....

well, i think hubby should work and you should stay home. sounds like you will end up making a lot more that way. could you get your clients to come to your house (if you have the products)??
jennym91005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I second the staying at home. There are so many other things you'll save on by staying home (lunch, gas, work clothes, etc...) You can always go back, or as pp mentioned have your regular clients come to you. I think it makes sense for your husband to take this great opportunity- and you can have your SAHM mommy dream, too. I've been a SAHM for almost 3 years and I LOVE it!
lotusstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #4

stay home, you won't regret it. lurk in the thrify forum, learn to use coupons, and don't spend money on stuff you don't really need. You can always find a job if you really need it.

My DH I used to make about the same salary, so when we decided that I would be a SAHM, we cut our income by 50%. We are living within our means and are the happiest we've ever been.
-Kate SAHM to John 12/31/07, Grace 10/15/09, Jack ^i^ 5/18/12 , and Jane 5/14/13
myblessedbaby is offline   Reply With Quote