Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Am I overreacting?

My mom watched my kids this past Sat night so DH and I could go to a wedding. The kids come home on Sunday with crooked haircuts and DS tells me that she cut their hair. That bothered me a bit, but pales in comparison to what I found out next. My mom called to tell me how perfect my kids were, and she mentioned that when they were at the movies, DD had to go to the bathroom, so she took her, leaving my just turned 5 yo DS in the theater BY HIMSELF!!

I"m so angry! But my mom really thinks its no big deal. She said the theater was full of families so he was safe. I can't believe she did it. I mean, I get the temptation. I'm sure he wouldn't have been very happy to leave the movie, but he is 5. You take him with you- not leave him alone.

So what do you all think. Am I overreacting? Or was my mom wrong?

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I overreacting?

Hmmm. I understand why she did it... but still. I would be annoyed too. I don't think you should leave a 5 yo alone in a public place, you just NEVER know. If I had to, I would definitely ask another family if they would watch him for a few minutes, never just leave him.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

I would be really mad at both things. They are your kids, she should at least ask before cutting their hair. I would be even more mad about the movies. I know a lot of parents didn't have to worry about that stuff years ago, but you can't do that anymore. I might leave a 12 year old in the theater, MAYBE, but not a 5 year old! At least you found out so you can make your rules more clear!

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
lotemp
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would be mad too. I think she was definitely wrong. (1)What if something happened in the theater - fire, bomb, power out, etc. How terrifying. (2) What if someone grabbed your child. Today that is not unheard of. 5 years old is much too young IMO to leave alone in the theater. I would talk to my mom about it and if she didn't see my point of view I wouldn't let her take my children out anymore. Sorry mom.

ETA: I'd be mad about the haircuts too. My kids, my haircut choice. I forgot about the hair after I found out about the theater thing. Haircutting without your permission is so not cool.

Last edited by lotemp; 05-24-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added stuff :)
lotemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
diapermommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be LIVID about both!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be livid as well. My mom cut DD's bangs once and I was super mad...that is my thing, I am in charge of her hair. The theater thing is terrible as well. If it were my mom, I'd be calling her and giving her a piece of my mind.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diapermommy View Post
I would be LIVID about both!
Uh...huh
Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:

I read this to my dh & we both agree that your mother is insane. Okay, perhaps SHE'S not insane, but that was unacceptable! We'd be LIVID!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
youarelovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be really mad about both things!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

Ok, I'm the odd one out who would be pretty mad about the haircuts, but not necessarily too upset about the theater - depending on the maturity of my kid. If I thought the kid would stay put and not annoy other movie patrons, I would not take him to the bathroom. I mean, the kid knows not to go anywhere with strangers, right? and to put up a noisy fuss if a stranger tries anything? It would seem like a crowded theater full of families would be a terrible place to try to snatch/harm a kid. Like stealing stuff at a cop convention where everything is alarmed.

I think you are looking at a generational thing. I can remember instances of just this sort of thing happening in my own childhood - without trouble. I think that the current sensationalisation of potential threats to children can damage our ability to accurately assess threat levels.

Last edited by Sleep deprived; 05-25-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote