Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
pepsichic9115
Registered Users

My Mood:
Typical 8 yr old girl??

You would think that by my 3rd dd I shouldn't have to ask this--but my 1st 2 are anything but typical. My 11 year old is bipolar and has had extreme behavior problems since well before 8. My 10 year old has pretty extreme ADHD so she was never calm or able to follow through on any task. So therefore, I don't know if the issues I am having with my 8yr old are typical for her age or if it could be either learned behaviors from her sisters or the beginning of a problem.

She can not seem to get through a task. Her chore for the day today was to get the laundry out of the bathroom anbd sweep and wash the floor. Our bathroom is tiny with literally a pedestal sink, toilet and tub. There's just barely room for the door to swing. It took her an hour and about 10 reminders of what she was supposed to be doing. When it is time for her shower, she finds little things to do between the living room and the bathroom then ends up sitting on the couch where I again have to remind her. I feel like I spend most of my time reminding her, or my 10 year old who is now medicated and does well until about dinner time, or argueing with my 11 year old over simple tasks such as put your plate in the sink or pick up your coat!!

So what I'm trying to ask is: what should I expect from a typical 8 year old girl. Am I asking too much or should I make an appt with her pediatrician??

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Typical 8 yr old girl??

My 8 year ld does this. Ill ask her to shower and she will basically pretend that she didnt hear me. Or she will say OK and go upstairs and ill find her watching tv.
I think its just her way of being a punk that wants mom to go nuts.
mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it's typical. I don't know one kid anywhere near that age who doesn't drag their feet while doing chores. It's that whole thing of not realizing that if they spent half as much time actually doing the chore as they did trying to get out of it or feeling sorry for themselves for having to do it, they'd have been done hours ago. LOL I find this "chore ADD" VERY typical, at least among kids in that age group whom I know personally (my own daughter, almost 7 years old, included).
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

That sounds exactly like my 8 year old cousin. You have to tell her something a million times or she gets sidetracked.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:

I don't know about girls yet as mine is only 18 mos. However, my 8 year old boy is EXACTLY the same!!! I've talked to other parents of kids in his class & they all say they're having the same problem. I'm pretty sure it's normal.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
pepsichic9115
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh thank goodness!! I know at about this age they start to develop little attitudes--and she has one in spades but she just seems so distracted lately. Any ideas on how to hurry them through this stage. She's normally so well mannered and cooperative and I want that nailynn back!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

yup, my son just turned 9 and he argues mildly, diddle daddles and just basically is a sweet pain in the rear!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
bessaroni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowAndColtsMama View Post
yup, my son just turned 9 and he argues mildly, diddle daddles and just basically is a sweet pain in the rear!
Ditto to all that except I have a girl.
This thread is very reassuring.
Need cute wall decals? Mention DiaperSwappers and get 15% off at WillowCreekSigns.
bessaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessaroni View Post
Ditto to all that except I have a girl.
This thread is very reassuring.
ditto x2....my daughter is the same way and will be 8 in Nov. She is walking PMS and attitude and assigning chores are the way I get an hour to myself because no one is allowed to speak to me until all the tasks are done. The longer it takes them, the more peace and quiet I have.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Xblessed View Post
ditto x2....my daughter is the same way and will be 8 in Nov. She is walking PMS and attitude and assigning chores are the way I get an hour to myself because no one is allowed to speak to me until all the tasks are done. The longer it takes them, the more peace and quiet I have.
LOVE this!!! Totally gonna make the no talking until it's done rule here!