Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Why do people say "Spare the rod, spoil the child" is in the Bible when it isn't?

Someone was asking why I was boycotting Better Home and Garden and I sent her the link to the commandments. She came back saying that she agreed and blah blah and then quoted the above saying. So I googled bc I remember something about that not even being in the Bible..and sure enough it's not. I don't really interpret the Bible verse's pertaining to this as "beat your kid to discipline them". In fact they weren't even Jesus' words..they were King Solomons. I just don't see the translation and why people quote it like it's one of the "real" ten commandments.

ETA: These commandments I'm talking about in refards to better home and garden are the 10 commandments to dining out with children...I am not referencing the real 10 commandments in the Bible.

Advertisement

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 05-24-2010 at 11:16 PM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do people say "Spare the rod, spoil the child" is in the Bible when it isn't?

people also think, "God helps those who help themselves" is in the bible.

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do people say "Spare the rod, spoil the child" is in the Bible when it isn't?

I don't know it wasn't in the bible ,but we don't spank so it never really mattered to me. Jesus did say let the little children come to me(paraphrasing) and we have always chosen those words for our parenting goal anyways. But what about better homes and gardens that is news to me.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dh would say "because people suck."
Old 05-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphinium View Post
My dh would say "because people suck."
Ok that's really funny and totally something my dh would say.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileysMommy View Post
Someone was asking why I was boycotting Better Home and Garden and I sent her the link to the commandments. She came back saying that she agreed and blah blah and then quoted the above saying. So I googled bc I remember something about that not even being in the Bible..and sure enough it's not. I don't really interpret the Bible verse's pertaining to this as "beat your kid to discipline them". In fact they weren't even Jesus' words..they were King Solomons. I just don't see the translation and why people quote it like it's one of the "real" ten commandments.
I don't quite understand. Your friend listed the concept of spare the rod, spoil the child as one of the 10 commandments? I've never actually heard anyone use that phrase, although I've heard it on tv or read it in books. As far as the "real" ten commandments, they aren't Christ's words either.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I believe it is derived from a misinterpretation of Proverbs 22:15: "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him."
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I don't quite understand. Your friend listed the concept of spare the rod, spoil the child as one of the 10 commandments? I've never actually heard anyone use that phrase, although I've heard it on tv or read it in books. As far as the "real" ten commandments, they aren't Christ's words either.
No..BH&G magazine listed 10 commandments of dining out with little kids and someone on my FB page said she agreed with the list. Then quoted beating her kids and grandkids and threatening them within an inch of their lives to make them behave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguisgirl View Post
I believe it is derived from a misinterpretation of Proverbs 22:15: "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him."
It actually comes from this... "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24, King James Version).
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just don't get why people quote it saying the Bible says it when it doesn't. I also don't understand the interpretation either. I don't see anywhere in Proverbs where it is telling me to beat my child.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always say because they are uneducated and haven't actually READ the bible they're just parroting crap they heard from one person or another. The 'rod' verse I usually hear is Proverbs 13:24 "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes."

www.aolff.org has a really interesting take on the rod verses from a non-violent perspective.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote