Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why do people say "Spare the rod, spoil the child" is in the Bible when it isn't?

All scripture is God breathed. All the words were divinely inspired but written by man.

The verse in Pr 22:15 does indeed refer to a club or rod of sorts used in disipline. Infering it's use in spanking. When you don't understand something in the bible, it helps to look up the original greek words and their definitions which is what I did.

There are many laws and rules to live by that are not in the 10 commandments. The 10 commandments are not the end all be all of living as a christian. Jesus said in the new testament that the most important commandment is to love the lord your god with all your heart and all your might. The second most important being to love your neighbor as yourself. Neither of these are in the original 10 commandments.

Advertisement

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

Re: Why do people say "Spare the rod, spoil the child" is in the Bible when it isn't?

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) Is this the scripture you're referring to? There are many translations of the Bible that word things in different ways but that IS in the Bible, interestingly, if you research the Hebrew and Greek words used in the Bible you'll get a deeper grasp of the meaning. The word used for 'rod' actually denoted a shepherd's rod, which was for GUIDING, not inflicting wounds. I suggest you do some research on the subject if you're interested, God is loving and wants parents to guide, never injure their LO's.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #13
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Well, my thought is this. Parts of Proverbs could be interpreted to mean that you should use firm discipline (even using physical force) to help raise an obedient and faithful child. Is that the correct interpretation? It is not the interpretation that my faith believes. However, so many Christian denominations exist these days that encourage individual interpretation of the Bible. The problem is that most individuals are not qualified to interpret the Bible and when they do so, you wind up with interpretations that have no basis in faith - they are self serving. When you have SO many people reading the Bible and explaining to others what it means to them, you are going to have lots of interpretations out there - some will become popular regardless of whether they are a scholarly/faithful/inspired interpretation.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #14
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
I always say because they are uneducated and haven't actually READ the bible they're just parroting crap they heard from one person or another. The 'rod' verse I usually hear is Proverbs 13:24 "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes."

www.aolff.org has a really interesting take on the rod verses from a non-violent perspective.
Ohhh thanks for that site! Can't wait to delve into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowAndColtsMama View Post
"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) Is this the scripture you're referring to? There are many translations of the Bible that word things in different ways but that IS in the Bible, interestingly, if you research the Hebrew and Greek words used in the Bible you'll get a deeper grasp of the meaning. The word used for 'rod' actually denoted a shepherd's rod, which was for GUIDING, not inflicting wounds. I suggest you do some research on the subject if you're interested, God is loving and wants parents to guide, never injure their LO's.
Awesome..you interpret it the same way I do. But so many people take it to mean they need to literally spank their kids which is what this woman I was talking was saying.

Spanking is great if it works for your family. I just get tired of people saying that this verse is in the Bible and that's why they hit their kids.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #15
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another interpretation I read (on AOLFF) is that proverbs was written by a king and if you read Ester then you'll know that if a king sets his rod/staff/septor aside when someone approaches him then they will be put to death, but if he extends it to them then that means he will listen to what they have to say
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #16
Mama*Kristen
Registered Users
seller

Oh! I always hear "God helps those that help themselves"- ummm no that's not in the Bible! My friend said that the other day and I was going to ask her where that was but I didn't want to start anything.
Mama*Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #17
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kristen View Post
Oh! I always hear "God helps those that help themselves"- ummm no that's not in the Bible! My friend said that the other day and I was going to ask her where that was but I didn't want to start anything.
Haha tell me about it. I had to hold my tongue..or my fingers since it was on FB..I really wanted to get into it but just let it go and said we'd have to agree to disagree. This is a person that you just can't win with so why try.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #18
LeslieT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about
Quote:
Proverbs 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

and 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
(KJV)

I'm not endorsing this. Just putting it out there that the Bible does, in fact, instruct parents to beat their children with "the rod."

Last edited by LeslieT; 05-25-2010 at 05:19 AM.
LeslieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #19
Lifeisjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: Chatt-townmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Proverbs 22:15: "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him."

this verse was actually part of my Pastors message last Sunday. He touched on it saying that we as parents are responsible for raising our kids up to follow the Lord and to do the right thing. He said This included physical discipline as a spank on the bottom, not in anger, and only to show that their action was wrong. He said to be sure that the child knows why they got a spank before and after the spank. Also, that after the age of about 10 the physical spank can become useless and embarrasing for the child.

I also think that some people abuse their children using the Bible as an excuse, AND I also think that some parents do not discipline their children in any way, leading to a very spoiled and selfish child who doesn't know what is right and wrong.
Lifeisjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #20
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. (Proverbs 13:24)

The majority of the bible is not written by Christ. It is written by those who followed him.
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote