Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #21
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why do people say "Spare the rod, spoil the child" is in the Bible when it isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowAndColtsMama View Post
"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) Is this the scripture you're referring to? There are many translations of the Bible that word things in different ways but that IS in the Bible, interestingly, if you research the Hebrew and Greek words used in the Bible you'll get a deeper grasp of the meaning. The word used for 'rod' actually denoted a shepherd's rod, which was for GUIDING, not inflicting wounds. I suggest you do some research on the subject if you're interested, God is loving and wants parents to guide, never injure their LO's.
The church I attended growing up always explained it that way, too.

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #22
LeslieT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do people say "Spare the rod, spoil the child" is in the Bible when it isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellEBeanDesigns View Post

The majority of the bible is not written by Christ. It is written by those who followed him.
None of the Bible was written by Jesus. And the KJV has 929 chapters in the Old Testament and 260 chapters in the New Testament (the Catholic Bible and Orthodox Christian Bible have more)...so the majority of the Bible was not written by followers of Christ. Only a little more than 20% was.
LeslieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #23
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

God helps those who help themselves

Jer 17:5 (NIV) This is what the LORD says: "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the LORD."
Prov 28:26 (NIV) He who trusts in himself is a fool...
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #24
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All the words in Red are the words of Christ. The Old Testament or Torah is the word of God before He gave his only Begotten Son. SO no not by Christ but the Word of God
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #25
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I don't quite understand. Your friend listed the concept of spare the rod, spoil the child as one of the 10 commandments? I've never actually heard anyone use that phrase, although I've heard it on tv or read it in books. As far as the "real" ten commandments, they aren't Christ's words either.
Agreed
Old 05-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #26
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not trying to start a debate, but the Bible instructs us to murder disobedient children. So while that particular quote might be inaccurate, the Bible does condone physical punishment for disobedience in children.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #27
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

B/c people like to justify physical abuse to their kids.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #28
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know several friends who feel that spanking their children is the only way to raise Godly children because of the verses mentioned. It just makes no sense to me,they believe that if they don't spank their children will be horrible rotten brats.So often I see a child get spanked 6-7 times for not going to bed,not eating dinner,talking back,ect .Most of them belong to the same church as wel(not Catholic)l. I have had to stop interactions with them because it is so disturbing. They are good parents they have just been taught that they HAVE to do this. All of these friends were ether taught by their parents they had to do this or by their pastors. I don't think it's fair to use the bible as a reason for hurting your children.

Last edited by booty hunter; 05-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.
booty hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #29
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellEBeanDesigns View Post
All the words in Red are the words of Christ. The Old Testament or Torah is the word of God before He gave his only Begotten Son. SO no not by Christ but the Word of God
Just an fyi not all the bibles have those words in red.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #30
LeslieT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, being quoted in a work is not the same as writing the work.
LeslieT is offline   Reply With Quote