Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
14 month old ready to be potty trained?

I'm trying to figure out if my toddler is really ready/wants to be potty trained or if he is just figuring things out and curious.

Lately he has seem really aware of his body. He isn't like his diapers as much (we use cloth) and has been trying to take them off. Whenever he is naked, he always pees on the floor. I immediately pick him up and say "do you need to go potty? Let's go potty" and run to the bathroom and put him on the toilet. Of course by that point he's done peeing!

Anyways, today he was trying to take his diaper off and I asked him if he needed to go potty. He walked over to the bathroom, so I took his diaper off and put him on the toilet. He didn't go... but I think he might have!

I guess my next step is getting a toddler size potty! Do you think he is ready or just interested in things? Getting this baby out of diapers before the next comes in October is my goal!

MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: 14 month old ready to be potty trained?

It wont hurt to try. DD did the same thing around that age and I got a Bjorn big potty and she used it on and off. She was almost PTed around 18mo and then she regressed and didnt use the potty again for several months.
If he goes that great, but i wouldnt push it. The more you push and try to make them go, the more they refuse to go.

We went through this until she was 3. When she turned 3, she jsut trained herself and now she rarely has any accidents and 90% of the time she wakes up dry.
Proud AF wife to Jeff (7/2005) and SAHM to Kaitlynn (3/2007)
Indianamom*2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I've potty trained kiddos that young before.
I would make the potty available at natural naked transition times(bath, nap, bed,etc). See what happens.
It can only be bad if you push him. Be postive. Be excited. Be gentle. Be understanding. Expect nothing.
You can't go wrong
Bye bye.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Registered Users

Doesn't hurt to give it a try. My DS was interested at that age, and for awhile was using the potty several times a day. Then he completely lost interest and would refuse to sit on the potty at all. We dropped the issue for a few months. He's 21 months now, and seems like he's getting interested again, so we'll give it another go. As long as you don't turn it into a power struggle, introducing the potty at this age could work out really well.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote