Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

Toddler Tooth Care/Dentist Visit

I took DS1 to the dentist for the first time today b/c he fell and hit his chin on the playground. He slightly chipped one tooth and the other is a little loose and out of place. We saw my old pediatric dentist (that I loved). She recommends that children start seeing the dentist at 12 months and he is scheduled for his first cleaning in November so he will be just over 2 1/2. We will see how that goes. I can't imagine him sitting still for it. She taught me how to lay his head in my lap and brush his teeth that way and to try and start flossing for him as well. I really want him to have good oral care b/c DH has gum disease. She also said that name brand toothpaste with floride is too strong for little ones and that he needed non floride toothpaste until he was 4-5 b/c it would discolor his permanent teeth. I thought the whole thing was very interesting. DH also has major fear of the dentist and I'm hoping that DS starting this young will keep him from having fear as well. Just curious how young your LO's were when they started seeing the dentist. How did they do with cleanings?

Advertisement

kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Re: Toddler Tooth Care/Dentist Visit

DS went for the first time when he was 3. He loved it- he still loves going to the dentist. I found a great pediatric dentist who does an awesome job explaining what she is doing to DS, so he's not scared at all. I'm sure the 2 story playroom, video games, and dvds in the waiting room help as well.

DD is 2.5 and goes for her first visit in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS went when he was 18 months old. They used a manual toothbrush to clean his teeth, so no freak-out over the powered one. I don't think they start using the powered one at our dentist until 3 years old.

Amazingly, he did super well at the dentist. He let them clean his teeth with no fuss at all, when it's a fight every night for me to do it.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD's first dental appt was at 12 mths. They did her first "real" cleaning at 2.5. She did great and LOVES her dentist (it helps that they show animated movies on screens on the ceiling).

DS's first dental appt will be next Tues (just before 11 mths). Our ped dentist wants to start seeing kids 6 mths after their first tooth or 1 yr of age, whichever happens first. For DD that was the same time (she got her first tooth at 6 mths). DS got his first tooth at 5 mths, so he's going in before his bday. It will be a quick visit.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a major fear of the dentist....luckily my new dentist knows that, and is incredibly gentle and patient with me! Anywho, he now sees DS, because I feel comfortable with him. (We did take DS to a pediatric dentist, but it didnt go well, they wouldnt let me go back with him, and they ended up strapping him down)
We started DS at the dentist at 1 year at it wasnt until his 2 1/2 year appt that they actually got in a good cleaning and flossing! We just hold DS in our lap on the chair and they tilt us both back and clean his teeth, he does great! I think he is more excited that he gets a stuffed animal from the ceiling when he is done...
Old 05-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacks_mommy View Post
We just hold DS in our lap on the chair and they tilt us both back and clean his teeth, he does great! I think he is more excited that he gets a stuffed animal from the ceiling when he is done...
Kind of what they did for us. She has him sit on my lap facing me and then I leaned him back with his head resting at the top of the chair and his legs were wrapped around me. He wasn't thrilled with the situation but it had to be done. I do love the dentist we have...she was who my sister and I used when we were growing up.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote