Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
HELP my son only drinks out of Nuby cups with a straw and...

They are getting moldy between the cup and the plastic casing. How do I fix this or do I just get new cups for him? What age can I start him on a normal cup?

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
kitkatkc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP my son only drinks out of Nuby cups with a straw and...

Mine do that, too. I haven't tried it yet, since it is on the outside of the cup, but could you try to bleach them? Another issue that I have is that they get discolored with juice, so I really can't always tell if they are clean. I transitioned DD onto the safe sippy cups, but really, you can start a cup at any age, I have known moms who don't use a sippy at all. It is just a learning curve, and can be a little messy at first. DD still uses sippies (cuz I am lazy, LOL!) but she can drink out of a cup- she is 20 mo.
I have been looking at THESE since I would really like to transition DD to a cup before she starts pre-school this fall.

kitkatkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can start a baby on an open cup as soon as you start solids. I start my ods on an open cup at 6 1/2 mos old. Yes, it was messy but it was only water. I found my smallest cup, added no more than an inch of water and went from there. By a year, he was drinking from an open cup w/very little spilling. I was going to do this with my twins but I was so overwhelmed with raising twins that I never really taught them. I do kick myself for not teaching them cause they don't know how.

Anyways, I have straw cups from Nuby and I do have to take the whole straw thing out of the lid once in a while to clean it or just throw it all in the dishwasher. I usually put just water in the cups. I have other cups for the table when they get either milk or juice/water for meals.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son doesn't drink juice so I haven't had that problem yet. I just wish that there was a super cup that transitioned through all the stages. You know it went from straw cup, to cup with a sippy like lid that can leak (for training) then to a normal cup. Ugg! I like the Tupperware ones because that is what I grew up with. Maybe I should just get those for him... but they don't come with the solid lids. UGG!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

We used these for awhile. Never had a problem with mold.
http://www.diapers.com/Product/Produ...productid=6756
We have been using these for a while now(well over 1.5yrs) with metal straws and love them(eta-the straws they come with fit tighter so very very little comes out when tipped over)
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

I, too, know of moms who totally skip the sippy

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 05-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Gitrecca
Registered Users

I am one of those moms that totally skipped sippy cups. I actually tried for several months to teach my son to drink from them, and he just never got it. He was doing fine with an open cup and since all he got was water it wasn't really a big deal when he spilled. He was drinking with very few messes around a year and was really good by about 15 months. At some point I realized that it was silly to try to force him to drink from a sippy when he didn't want to. I would just have to un-teach that later! With future children I intend to not use sippies either. Although I totally understand why people do use them! I sometimes wish we could use them for in the car and things. But, we're doing okay without them!