Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
28 month old not talking

My 28mo nephew cannot say more than about 5-10 words. My sis took him to the Ped for his 2yr appt and they were concerned enough to schedule another appt. for 3 months out to see if he improved any with her working with him at home. Well, he hasn't and as far as I know she never took him to the follow-up appt. My mom and I are somewhat concerned thinking that he might need speech therapy and it'd be easier to start now rather than later. And it's not that he doesn't try to speak, he will talk your ear off, but it is just pure gibberish. We just don't know whether to speak to her about it or leave it alone, kwim?? Just not sure how to address it... PLus, it doesn't help that my DS is only 1 week older than hers and is speaking in 3-4 word sentences. We just don't want to come off offending her or my nephew. Any advice??

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 28 month old not talking

I'm curious to see the responses. My DS only says about a dozen words, and no sentences yet at 26 months
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLittleBouncingSoul View Post
I'm curious to see the responses. My DS only says about a dozen words, and no sentences yet at 26 months
See this is my thing; I'm not really sure what is considered the norm for this age and when do they consider it a delay of communication?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
groovybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds will be 2 in a couple of weeks and when he was 21 mos old, I took him to the doctor because he did not say ANY words (not even mama). My oldest ds had started talking at 15 months, so I was a little concerned. The doctor referred us to a pediatrician who has since referred us for a hearing test and subsequent evaluation by a speech pathologist (they don't actually believe he has any issues hearing, but it is a standard test to rule anything out). DS is almost 24 months and his vocabulary is less than 5 words, and he does have to be prompted to say them. He does not say anything spontaneously.

If this helps you at all, the pediatrician is not very concerned at this point but they do want to get kids in around the age of two to be seen by the doctor so they can see how their speech is developing, even if it is a slow development. He mentioned that they don't get really concerned until it's time for kids to attend preschool - however, they do want to see the kids and get them in for any therapy that might be helpful to them. We aren't getting any speech therapy yet, but ds is being seen by the pediatrician every couple of months to see if his speech is coming along (even if it is coming along slowly). I expect we will be referred for some speech therapy in the latter part of the summer when we finally get in for an evaluation by the speech/language pathologist.

Last edited by groovybaby; 05-25-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling
groovybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think by 2 they're expected to say at least 50 words and at least 2 word sentences. Obviously some are saying a lot more than that, my daughter was already talking like a little person, lol. But yeah, it does sound to me like he may need some intervention. It's better to do it sooner rather than later so that they don't fall behind! Then again, my cousin did not talk until 3 and they were so worried about him, he didn't say anything besides gibberish. One day he just started talking in complete coherent sentences! Hasn't shut up since and that was over 30 years ago.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS2 is 27 months and has no sentences. He thinks he speaks full sentences in clear english but to me he speaks no sentences clearly and has about 30 words, adding more every day. I'm not worried. He understands what I say and follows instruction well and "talks" plenty. DS1 didn't say a thing intelligibly until 22 months and within a week was into sentences. He has been very verbally advanced since about 30 months. Like most things, I think each LO just does things in their own time. My neighbor's daughter was speaking sentences at 18 months but cannot ride a bike at 7 and has poor relationship skills with other children. They each have their advanced areas and those areas they are more delayed in so I don't judge my children by another or another by my children. I don't know that I would say anything to the mommy; I trust the mom knows her child best.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
DS2 is 27 months and has no sentences. He thinks he speaks full sentences in clear english but to me he speaks no sentences clearly and has about 30 words, adding more every day. I'm not worried. He understands what I say and follows instruction well and "talks" plenty. DS1 didn't say a thing intelligibly until 22 months and within a week was into sentences. He has been very verbally advanced since about 30 months. Like most things, I think each LO just does things in their own time. My neighbor's daughter was speaking sentences at 18 months but cannot ride a bike at 7 and has poor relationship skills with other children. They each have their advanced areas and those areas they are more delayed in so I don't judge my children by another or another by my children. I don't know that I would say anything to the mommy; I trust the mom knows her child best.
This is my nephew as well and that is one reason why we're not *too* concerned. I would love to trust my sister, but she's not been a very consistent and loving parent. She's somewhat distant with her son (we think a result of PPD that went untreated) and is a very harsh/strict disciplinarian. We just don't want to see him suffer for something she neglected.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
KristieMcNealy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Peds look for kids to start putting 2 words together between 18-24 months. If this isn't happening, then they look to see if language is developing at a normal rate, but just started off a few months later than normal, or if progress with speech is both late and slow. They also look for other delays.

All three of my older kids were late talkers. We did speech therapy with the first, but when 2 and 3 developed the same as the oldest we opted out of therapy for them and gave them even more time. It doesn't hurt to have an evaluation through whoever does birth to 3 early intervention in your state.

Blogging about women's and children's health at http://www.kristiemcnealy.com
KristieMcNealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
FallBabies
Registered Users

At my twins 2 yr checkup, they tested in the "low normal" range for speech development. We decided to wait on testing for six months to see how speech developed.
Now we are in a mad dash, having tons of appts. one on top of the other, b/c at age 3 they transition from county to school services. The past month has been filled w/ me getting them evaluated (sure enough, they qualifed; actually showed to be at 20 months equivalent for expressive speech, though receptive speech is perfectly on par.) They qualify for services 1 day/week, but now immediately have to get set up w/ the school dist. as well. So we have another meeting next week.

Had I known how much it all entails, I would have gotten them tested right at age two; they'd probably be totally caught up now, and I wouldn't be dealing with this mad dash to get everything taken care of for fall.

Perhaps tell your sister the same thing... I was shocked at how much they should be saying at this age, and how behind they actually are. I knew they were delayed, but didn't realize just how much.

EDIT: Since you don't know how to approach it, you can use me and say you were talking to a friend and everything she was describing was sounding just like your nephew. Maybe that'll get it across w/o sounding judgemental or whatever.

Last edited by FallBabies; 05-25-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Adding more
FallBabies is offline   Reply With Quote