Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Newborn AIOs

This always happens to me... I think I have my stash set, and then I start re-thinking and re-buying! I like having a stash with about 2/3 AIOs and the rest fitteds and flats with some PUL and wool covers. I'm set with my fitteds (Sbish mini and KLOs) and flats (Sweet Iris mediums and half flats) and my PUL (Thirsties Duo Size 1) and wool (Sbish knit and Woollybottoms interlock).

BUT... now I'm rethinking my AIOs. I was going to do Thirsties and Simplex, but now I think I am going to trade my Thirsties in for Bottombumpers. I have loved Bottombumpers in the past, but the Thirsties were so much cheaper. Bottombumpers are on sale at Nicki's and I'm thinking about destashing my Thirsties because 1) they are microfiber and I do really prefer natural fibers, and 2) they seem much smaller and bulkier than the Bottombumpers and Simplex. I can see how the smaller would be better for a lot of newborns, but my kids are generally born around 9 pounds and gain very quickly, so I like bigger newborn diapers/smalls. I'm worried the Thirsties just won't last that long for us. We typically run out of rise before anything because my kids are very tall (I'm 5'11" and my husband is 6'2"), so when the range tops out at 14, that generally means about 12 for us. Thoughts? Anyone try all of the above?

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newborn AIOs

Thirsties def won't last. We used them for about 2 weeks. After that they still fit great but he leaked out of them. Every. Time.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks - I really appreciate the input! Did you have a big baby?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thirsties NB AIOs worked well for a very brief period of time, not really long enough that'd I'd buy them again. I've never used Bottombumpers but I have used Simplex for bigger babies and loved them. I am drawing a blank on what AIOs we used for H's newborn stash.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkify View Post
Thirsties NB AIOs worked well for a very brief period of time, not really long enough that'd I'd buy them again. I've never used Bottombumpers but I have used Simplex for bigger babies and loved them. I am drawing a blank on what AIOs we used for H's newborn stash.
Thanks. Bottombumpers and Simplex are tried and true for me... not sure why I always feel the need to deviate. I think I will try to sell my Thirsties and stick with what I know works.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
mochi
Registered Users
seller

Just want to say that our newborn stash are almost exactly the same, lol. I'm set on using sbish mini, flats and wools, geffen baby and sweet iris (half flat) flats , applecheeks for pockets, and ragababe for aio.

Haven't tried bottombumpers so can't say anything about that. I've tried the simplex, but I didn't like how rough the insert gets and it wasn't really good at holding blowouts for us.
mochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochi View Post
Just want to say that our newborn stash are almost exactly the same, lol. I'm set on using sbish mini, flats and wools, geffen baby and sweet iris (half flat) flats , applecheeks for pockets, and ragababe for aio.

Haven't tried bottombumpers so can't say anything about that. I've tried the simplex, but I didn't like how rough the insert gets and it wasn't really good at holding blowouts for us.
Yep - the insert does get rough with line drying. It was soft for us though with drying in the dryer, and since he is going to be a winter baby I think it will work out.

Sounds like we have similar taste
Old 10-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Sorry - our baby was 8 lbs 3 oz at birth and grew pretty fast. He was over 11 lbs by 4 weeks, so maybe thirsties aios would work better for slower growing babies. We got frustrated with the leaks early on when we were still exhausted from having a new baby
Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #9
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Has anyone tried the thirsties natural newborn aios? They might be what you're looking for. I read that they're more absorbant than simplexes and some say trimmer too. But I have no experience with them. Just showed up as recommended for me by eBay (hmm what does that say about me?), So I read about them, and they sound like the aio you need.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
Mr.DaddyDiaper
Registered Users
seller

I used the thirstiest Natural newborn AIO and it worked well for us. We also used a blueberry simplex that I found equally as good. THe only downside of the natural is they require more prep.
Mr.DaddyDiaper is offline   Reply With Quote