Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Vaccine Reaction?

Okay we practice delayed vaccination and my 7 month old DS had DTaP at 6 months and it did not phase him at all. Against my better judgment I allowed him to have HIB and Pc at 7 months. This was last Friday. Since then he has been like a different child. He has been whiny and fussy and today he screamed for 1.5 hours. He has always been an easy, happy baby and until today never screamed longer than 10 minutes. I checked him over completely today and there was nothing that should have been making him scream.

AM I overreacting? Could it just be teething or something?

Advertisement

Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
BrittBBT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vaccine Reaction?

It could be either of those. We don't vaccinate, so I'm not much help.
Brittany-mama to a bunch!Wife to Joseph Missing Zahra and Jayden my NCC and SAHM to Evan (5) Gavin & Bryce (3) and Avery (10.27.11)My planned UC, Daddy-caught Boobie Monster! 8lbs, 20'' long and 14'' head circum.
BrittBBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I believe PC reacts more than HiB. We dont do PC at all ( for that reason). Check w/ the ladies at MDC vaccination forum that are a great resource
Old 05-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaxter View Post
I believe PC reacts more than HiB. We dont do PC at all ( for that reason). Check w/ the ladies at MDC vaccination forum that are a great resource
I actually tried that but no one answered.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
doodah
Registered Users
seller

hope you get your answer but I am not much help. One of my DC babies had a similar reaction and was sobbing, flushed and acting weird for several days. Not like herself at all. She was fine several days later but to me, it definitely seemed vaccine related. Hope your LO is okay. Have you called the ped just in case? Does he appear to have any teeth pushing through? With that much crying, you should be able to tell if the tooth is right there or if he has other teething symptoms.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter had a reaction, to another vax, and it was a bit more severe.
Im of the frame of mind that when it changes a child's personality like that and causes them *that* amount of discomfort, it *IS* a reaction. As mild as it may be, that *IS* still a reaction and i would note it down, i would call your ped. and have it documented in his file.
I cant say for sure what one would have caused it, but dont just let this go by the way side and ignore it.
With my daughter we noticed a slow progression as the vaxing happened through her first year.
We vaxed on schedule, and slowly, each session she responded worse than the last. By the 9th month, her ped. administered the MMR and for a full week she was miserable. We ultimately took her to the ER. We had a spinal tap done because by the end of all the blood tests and whatnot it was either a reaction to the MMR or viral meningitis. So, she reacted to the MMR after we eliminated all other illnesses that could have caused this decline in her health.
At that point, we stopped vaxing with the exception of the tetanus. And by 18 months she received no more vaxes.
Shes nearly 8 now and shes healthier than ever. But it does worry me if we vaxed again what the reaction would be, given what happened last time. Each vax she got she got more achy, she slept for longer amounts of time, she would eat less, she was more irritable, her fevers got higher, and the welts on her legs got bigger. I just kept hoping it would get better and it didnt.
kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

i would also note it and talk with your ped about it. My DS had 2 Vxs and had reactions to both and we stopped compleatly. 1st was a fever and rash from head to toe, severe arond his mouth and the second was fevers on and off, severe discomfort and pnumonia. both reactions appeared after recieving the pediariX Vx @ 2 and 4 mos. i hope your LO feels better soon!!!

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, I did let his Pedi know. They called it normal of course but said they would put it in his file.

I don't see a new tooth but he is really chewing on stuff...
Old 05-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just gave my 2yr old his last Pc and his second Hep B and he was off for a few days, I plan on only doing 1 shot per visit from now on for him and my infant.

ETA: They had 7 they planned on giving him! I'm sad to think that many parents would actually allow that many! Luckily they go by what I say and don't fight me about it.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)

Last edited by CherryPie; 05-27-2010 at 07:23 AM.
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

Silly question - did you take his temp? My DS frequently runs a light fever after his shots, and if we don't give him a bit of Tylenol to take it down a notch he is fussy and grumpy.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote