Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Would this be a good floaty for the pool for baby?

Hi Mamas,
I just wanted to get an outside opinion. I plan on having some fun in the sun with my son and there's a pool nearby that I know he'd love to swim in. I thought it'd be nice for him to be able to sit in a floaty in the water. Don't worry I have plenty of suncreen (the good stuff ). Do you think this looks like an okay floaty: http://www.simplyinflatables.com/pro...abyFloat-56571. I found one on craigslist for a really cheap price brand new. What do you ladies think?

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would this be a good floaty for the pool for baby?

I personally don't do any type of floaty's. When we go swimming....we swim. All of mine prefer being IN the water and be able to manipulate themselves and the water how they want.

I especially dislike those ring things for their arms....I don't even know what they are called, lol. All they do is give the kid a false sense of security.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found out last year that the best kind is a Spring Float for the babes. I bought DD one of the inflatable ones and frankly..it sucked. The Spring Float keeps them more upright and has a deeper seat. With the inflatable she was like sitting as she would in a chair and the plastic hurt her legs. But the Spring Float was more like she would be if she was in her exersaucer and it's made of mesh which was nicer against her skin. Plus the Spring Float has a nice sun shield over it..that whale tail won't do anything for your babe and they need more than sunblock at that age. HTH
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You just have to be careful with those, because if they flip over, the kiddo is stuck upside-down under the water. (And arm floaties can slip right off, esp if they put their arms above their heads.) We use lifejackets if we need anything for them to use
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileysMommy View Post
I found out last year that the best kind is a Spring Float for the babes. I bought DD one of the inflatable ones and frankly..it sucked. The Spring Float keeps them more upright and has a deeper seat. With the inflatable she was like sitting as she would in a chair and the plastic hurt her legs. But the Spring Float was more like she would be if she was in her exersaucer and it's made of mesh which was nicer against her skin. Plus the Spring Float has a nice sun shield over it..that whale tail won't do anything for your babe and they need more than sunblock at that age. HTH
We use the Spring floats as well. I got ours at target. DD is 3 and still uses hers.

We arent int he water enough and Im not brave enough to let my kid just free float in the water. I havent found an actual life jacket to fit her properly yet.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:22 AM   #6
lovemyliesel
Registered Users
seller

oooh looks way cool! I just wonder if it'd flip over like one of the other mamas mentioned. but I guess as with any floaty you'd be real close. I just tried one of those mesh ones they have and it worked great. I think you can get them for like $15. Happy swimming!
lovemyliesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I either hold them or they know how to swim. No floaties, it gives a false sense of security and they think they can swim. As for life jackets, I've found that with certain children, they force the child to be on their belly, and put their face in the water, with the child unable to lift their head out. We teach our kids to swim/float at about 6 months, since they both crawled before 5 months. Before then I keep them in a water sling.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
Mom2frick&frack
Registered Users

My Mood:

How old is your son?

We bought something like that but with a cover over top when we went to Myrtle Beach when DS was 5 months old. He loved it. We spent quite a bit of time at the pool. He was slathered with sun screen, wore an SPF shirt, sunglasses and hat too since the cover didn't actually keep the sun off him and the rays also reflect off the water too. Half of the pool was also in the shade in late afternoon so that's the part we stayed in most of the time.

Of course we were right there holding onto the float at all times or pushing it back and forth between two adults which he loved. It sat low enough that the water was up to his chest. My son loved the water and was a wiggler. He was very hard to hold onto in the pool so this was a great option. It was also very stable and would not tip like a pp stated. The only way for it to flip was if you lifted from underneath and flipped it that way. I was able to hang onto the side DS's floaty and it supported my weight (which is a lot) without tipping.

For our trip back to MB next summer we will have an 8 month old. You better believe this one will be using that float again. For a younger baby I think it's a great option.

Here is DD, myself and DS minus his hat for the pic so we could see his face:

Last edited by Mom2frick&frack; 05-27-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Mom2frick&frack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
CrystalnIzzy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are spring float users here, too. We don't ever take a hand off it, but its nice not to have to hold a baby who is kicking to get away from you.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #10
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS is 9 mo. I guess I'm not too concerned where the legs are (thought of that one), because DS has swim trunks that we put him in so I'll pull those down, so his legs don't get hurt at all. I figure it's $4, and we don't have a lot of money to spare right now, so I might as well give it a try and if it doesn't work, I'll sell it. I actually bought one of the iplay sun hats from babyhalfoff.com the other day, and that will cover his head AND neck. The only thing I didn't think about is a shirt. I might put a regular one on him until I can find a good swim shirt.

I don't plan on ever leaving the floaty with baby in it either, so I'm not worried about it just flipping.

Thank you for bringing so many things to mind. It's good to get me thinking. I'll try a spring float I think if this one doesn't work out. The only thing I don't know about is sunglasses. I've tried putting some on DS before and he just wants to play with them. Any suggestions?