Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

my three week old's "witching hour" - any tips?

For the past few evenings DS has been having crying spells. I remember when DD was about this age she did the same thing.

This is pretty common, right?

Could something be causing it? Something in my milk? Something else?

If this is just a normal thing, then I'd really love some magical tips for soothing him. For now it seems to help to hold him while bouncing on the exercise ball, but I can't do it forever. I've heard that the Happiest Baby on the Block book has some great suggestions, but I don't have it yet and probably won't for a few days. Anyone care to pass on some baby soothing secrets?

Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Re: my three week old's "witching hour" - any tips?

Maybe he is tired? DD does this too, she is 8 weeks old. I find that she is often tired at that time of the day when she is fussy. Sometimes putting her in the wrap and bouncing on the ball helps. She nurses really well, so I sometimes give her a paci and don't worry about the consequences to nursing. What about a swing or bouncy seat? Does he like those?

I'd say that if it is pretty consistently the same time of day every day, and not all day long, it's probably not something you are eating getting through to him in your milk. I know that DD is sensitive to dairy because whenever I eat it, she spits up bucketsful of yuck, is super fussy, doesn't sleep well, etc. She is much happier when I am consistent about not eating dairy. It's pretty noticeable. Have you tried eliminating the major allergens/triggers and seeing how he acts?

I've also found it helpful to swaddle DD, shush in her ear, sway with her, sing, go for a walk outside with her in the wrap, etc. She has gotten a bit easier as she's gotten a little bit older.

I wish I could be more helpful. I have a brain full of mush right now, very tired! GL to you and your family, it is frustrating to have a fussy baby and not really know how to help them.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks mama! It seems pretty consistent that he's fussy in the evenings. It's hard to imagine he's tired though (although he IS sleeping now!) because he literally sleeps all day. He wakes to eat and will occasionally stay awake for 30 minutes or so but he really sleeps SO much.

I'm just lucky we're living with my parents now so we can all take turns soothing him! I should get the baby swing out and give that a try. Thanks for suggesting that
Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
JoeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Emma would get really gassy in the evening and it lead to lots of crying.
Do you have a sling or wrap? Wearing the baby around the house while you move might help.
Sometimes sitting in my bedroom with the lights low, and a loud fan (white noise) going helped. I'd also rock her in our glidder.
Some babies respond to a walk in the stroller or carrier (fresh air) or a car ride.
Frequent nursing helped.

I found that Emma was sensitive to the iron in my prenatal vitamin. I stopped taking it, and her temperment improved almost right away. (i'm guessing this isn't very common though).

Good luck. That is a tough period.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

I would consider gassy - move her legs around and see if you can help get the gas out - up and down, side to side, bicycle movements...sometimes it can take a little while. It became a game with us and he would at some point help and loved it but it helped (till we also realized it was reflux). Also, check about the milk and consider reflux if you get the arching of the back, piercing screams but happy most other times, and all the other stuff... I preferred the bouncy seat over swing as the vibration seemed to be calming in less your swing has it too.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to offer hugs. When the twins were babies.. they could cry from 7-9pm. Nothing i did would calm them. I would sit in the rocking chair and cry with them until my DH got home around 9
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
copelscope
Registered Users

Gripe water and babywearing saved me the first 6 weeks or so during witching hour (((hugs)))
copelscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
courtneyo_5
Registered Users
seller

I think my DD is sensitive to milk products. It seemed like for me when I ate cereal in the morning with milk, then that evening she would be very fussy and I could not sooth her. the past couple days I've cut out all milk products and it seems to have helped, so you could try that and see if it works.
courtneyo_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the suggestions He was actually pretty fussy this morning (though now sleeping in the swing). And I just realized I did have cereal with milk last night. Maybe I'll try to skip the milk for a couple days and see if that makes a difference.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hugs and sympathy. All the above suggestions are good, but for us - none of them worked. We just had fussy time from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. for a good 8 weeks. Good news is, despite my failed efforts, it slowly got less and less and then finally ended. Thankfully these kind of things are just phases and we can get through them (although perhaps a bit more well worn because of it).
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote