Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
lovemyliesel
Registered Users
seller

First Father's Day Present Ideas

Hey All,

So it's my husband's first father's day coming up and he's in Afghanistan, so I'm trying to come up with ideas of what to send him. Here's what I got, let me know what you think, or if you have any neat suggestions:

- I have some of that clay you put in the oven, and I was thinking, since me baby has such a grip, putting little balls of it in her hand and letting her squish them into beads (don't now how well this concept will work), they'd just be odd shaped balls, but then I was gonna take them and make a bracelet. Is this a dumb idea?

- Make a card with her hand print

- Loads of pics and videos of her favorite daughter hehe

Any other suggestions? They're tight on space so I can't really send too much, and he's not one for gadgets, we like mroe the home made/crafty stuff....

Advertisement

lovemyliesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: First Father's Day Present Ideas

For my DH's 1st Father's Day I had a wooden picute frame made(so it would be manly) and had it engraved with all the qualities he possesd that made him a good daddy and words that described parenthood. Words like protection, love, guidence, Daddy's World....and had them engrave at the bottom "Happy 1st Father's Day Love Mommy and Chloe." Inside I put the sweetest picture of DD holding DH's face and starring into his eyes. It was simple and special, plus is wasn't very large.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last year I bought a wooden D and A from the craft store and took lots of pictures of DS holding them, then took a three-photo frame and picked the best ones that spelled DAD.

Last edited by rosefall; 05-27-2010 at 07:29 AM.
rosefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I made a photobook online with only pictures of daddy and his little girl. I typed in a story about things they liked to do together that went with the pictures.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

I don't know if it would be strange but I love the Daddy Dolls they make for the kids for the military - can you have one made of your daughter to send to him?

https://www.hugahero.com/
http://www.operationhugahero.org/

How about taking the clay (or some clay that will not break in shipping) and making a handprint/footprint?

Kmart also has a tshirt I got for $6 or so (very cheap) that lets you put the kids handprints on it. Haven't tried it yet, but its cute. It was instore in the men's dept.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I heard about a pretty cool gift last night that I'm going to try. There's a verse in the Bible that says "children are a heritage from the Lord. Blessed is he whose quiver is full of them." So I'm going to get a quiver and two arrows, have our last name put on the quiver and our boys' on the arrows.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I cant help - I completely forgot about DH's first fathers day

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
familyof6
Registered Users

I was just searching the web for ideas and came across your post. This is far from my hubby's first father's day so I don't have any "first" specific ideas but I do understand the tight on space and how a handmade gift is appreciated over a gadget. So far this is what I've some up with:

Check out 101 reasons can at lovingyou dot com under romantic crafts. I tried to post the link but I don't have enough posts, I just joined to respond to this thread, lol.

I'm using dad scapbook paper and filling it not only with reasons I think he's a wonderful husband and father but also having the older kids do the same. I'm not doing 101 because I'm also having the two little kids (ages 2.5 and 5) lie on a roll of paper so I can trace them cut them out and then have them decorate themselves. I'm going to blow up and cut out recent pics of their faces so he can REALLY see how much they've grown. I'm going to roll these up, so everything will fit into the pringles can. You could do that part with your LO and even use his/her handprints to decorate the can.

The other thing I've been doing is sending pictures, often printed on cardstock from the net, of things we can do when he comes home. Recently I sent a pic of a room at the hotel we are staying in when he comes home and it MADE his day. For Father's Day, I am going to do pics of the park he likes to take the kids to, a waterpark we've been talking about taking them to, the zoo, ect. I think giving him something to visualize and look forward to makes the day go by a little more quickly. I'm going to decorate a "one day very soon" albulm for him to keep them in and send in his next package, this weekend.

Hope this helps. I realize my hubby and I are pretty cheesey, so forgive me if you're laughing, lol.
Amy

Last edited by familyof6; 05-27-2010 at 08:09 PM.
familyof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
lovemyliesel
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosefall View Post
Last year I bought a wooden D and A from the craft store and took lots of pictures of DS holding them, then took a three-photo frame and picked the best ones that spelled DAD.

OMG That is the cutest thing ever! If not this Father's Day definately a future one! GREAT idea!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
lovemyliesel
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyof6 View Post

I'm using dad scapbook paper and filling it not only with reasons I think he's a wonderful husband and father but also having the older kids do the same.
Love this idea Amy, thanks so much! Definately gonna use this when she gets a bit older!