Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
mrs.hull
Registered Users

Camping with a Sickie

My family has been planning on going camping this weekend for quite some time. Grandma is going with us and it is the only weekend all summer that we can all go. We are supposed to leave tomorrow at lunchtime.

However, DD (19mos) came down with a cold last weekend, that turned into an ear infection by Monday. She has been on amoxicillan since Monday afternoon. She has a congested cough. She has been camping before (2 weeks ago, in fact).

If this were your family, would you still take her on the trip? I'm not concerned about how she'll do because she's acting as if she feels fine, aside from the cough. I just don't want her to get any worse. Will sleeping in cool temperatures (low sixties) make her worse?

Advertisement

mrs.hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
SpartyGuard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Camping with a Sickie

FWIW, my uncle who is an ER doc has always told us that being cold does not cause you to get sick. I have absolutely no actual evidence to back that up though.

I would probably take her. She'll have been on 3-4 days worth of antibiotics by then. At bedtime, I would dress her in layers and keep an eye(touch) on her so she doesn't get too warm or cold.

If you're still not sure, ask her pedi. My DD had a terrible double ear infection just a day or two before we were supposed to fly to MI and our pedi was able to ease my doubts and gave us tips to keep her comfortable.
SpartyGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Weecycled Woolies
Registered Users
seller

I would take her. I think the fresh air would do her some good!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If she is feeling fine I would take her.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

I would go ahead and go... Might want to call the doc and see if he/she will call in a Rx for a nebulizer and some breathing treatments, if the congestion seems to be hanging around. If you have a power inverter, you can plug it into your car and give her breathing treatments and keep her comfortable over the weekend. Chances are the outdoor humid air, will do her some good, rather than being in a "dry" air conditioned house all weekend, KWIM?
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would totally go. She will not feel any worse there or at home, just make sure that if you need to you can have a lazy day.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
mrs.hull
Registered Users

Thanks, ladies. That's kind of what I was thinking about the fresh air. I have a call in to the doctor's office for advice, but we'll probably all go as planned. DH was more concerned about it, but I think he was just trying to get out of the trip anyway, lol.
mrs.hull is offline   Reply With Quote