Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Tell me about your child's balance bike!

We're thinking of getting a balance bike for each of the kids for Christmas this year. So, tell me about yours! What brand do you have and what do you like/dislike about it? Any suggestions, or is there any reason why this would be a bad choice?

By Christmas, my kids will be 3 and almost 5. (good grief, how did they get so old already)

If you don't know what a balance bike is, it's a bike with no pedals that the kids use to push along with their feet. It gives them balance and when they're ready for a real bike, they're usually set to go! (from what I understand)

Advertisement

Last edited by RebekahG77; 05-30-2010 at 03:36 PM.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your child's balance bike!

We bought DS his balance bike last summer (he was 2 years old) and it is the best thing we have ever bought him! He can keep up with his older sister and cousins (to a certain extent, or at least go where they go) and I can fianlly go for a good walk or jog. The only problem is that he won't give it up to try the new pedal bike we bought him!

ETA: you can see his bike in my avi
Old 05-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttachuk View Post
We bought DS his balance bike last summer (he was 2 years old) and it is the best thing we have ever bought him! He can keep up with his older sister and cousins (to a certain extent, or at least go where they go) and I can fianlly go for a good walk or jog. The only problem is that he won't give it up to try the new pedal bike we bought him!

ETA: you can see his bike in my avi
Do you mind if I ask what brand you got him?

Anyone else have any input?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is a cool idea! My son turns 2 on Christmas Day, and this will be an awesome 2nd birthday present for him! He loves ride-on toys already, and rides on a tricycle by pushing it with his feet, so I know he could do this.
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLiberty View Post
This is a cool idea! My son turns 2 on Christmas Day, and this will be an awesome 2nd birthday present for him! He loves ride-on toys already, and rides on a tricycle by pushing it with his feet, so I know he could do this.
I'm sure he could! There's a little guy in our neighborhood that has been tooling up and down the sidewalk like a little pro... and he's just barely 2!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the brand we have is called Runner or Runners. It is pretty much made entirely of wood, except for the seat and the tires. It cost about $125 (canadian). We have been really happy with it, other than we have to be careful that it doesn't get left out in the rain.

I really like the wood look, it seems to get a lot of notice from other people too.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttachuk View Post
I think the brand we have is called Runner or Runners. It is pretty much made entirely of wood, except for the seat and the tires. It cost about $125 (canadian). We have been really happy with it, other than we have to be careful that it doesn't get left out in the rain.

I really like the wood look, it seems to get a lot of notice from other people too.
I like the look of the wood too. There's an all-wood one on Amazon that looked pretty nice. Whatever we choose, it has to be available on Amazon since we'll be using swagbucks to fund it. I'll have to check out the reviews for that one.

So the wood is really sturdy? I was worried it would chip, break, or splinter easily.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
lookatreestar
Registered Users

we got dd one for her 3rd birthday, she really likes it but she is just starting to "get" it. we got the mini glider.

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son has one, my sister in law found it at Target in the clearence for 7.00, I guess it is ok, pretty useless in my book. I would rather have gotten a bike with training wheels, that way we could use it later. Ds loves it though.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was just going to ask why not just get a bike with training wheels? Is there a benefit to this one? I've never even seen them so I have no clue...

My kids have had bikes w/ training wheels since they were about 2. Ds had his training wheels off when he just turned four.