Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
mom2littleman
Registered Users
Formerly: jdunn79
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your child's balance bike!

My son just received a mini glider for his Birthday a couple of weeks ago. He's just starting to get it, but also doesn't ride every day. He likes the idea but wants to just go. He's been riding a tricycle like a pro since he could walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper_girl_76 View Post
I was just going to ask why not just get a bike with training wheels? Is there a benefit to this one? I've never even seen them so I have no clue...

My kids have had bikes w/ training wheels since they were about 2. Ds had his training wheels off when he just turned four.
The difference is that bikes with training wheels don't teach kids to balance. These bikes teach kids to balance and make the transition to a two wheel bike with pedals easier. It also helps with gross motor development.

Advertisement

mom2littleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
Mama2B&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd wasn't getting it with the training wheels. She just wasn't balancing, so we took off her training wheels, pedals, and chain and just turned her regular bike into a balance bike. She learned how to glide on it pretty fast and was gliding around the block in no time. We have since put her chain and pedals back on and she is good to go, no need for two different bikes.
Mama2B&I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We bought one for DS when he was 2 years old. We bought a Norco and he absolutely loves it. He learned how to balance fairly quickly and now he is a pro. He is 4 now but still not ready for a pedal bike. The only issue we had was that he outgrew the seat and the handle bars became too low. The only reason that is is because ds is really tall. He is taller than most first graders so he outgrew it really fast. We fixed that really easily by getting a new seat post and new post for the handle bars. I am so glad we got him the glider bike. It gave him so much confidence and really improved his balance.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From what the expert at the bike shop said you can start them at 18mo, a 5 yo would be too old for one, I would think. My 3 year old can ride a bike pretty well, still with training wheels but still pretty well.
Maybe get one for your DD and a bigger boy bike for him, just a thought

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
cristancanoe
Registered Users

My neighbors bought a regular bike and removed the pedals and training wheels. They added on the pedals after about a year of balancing.
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #16
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Ds uses his Skuut every single day. Its the only toy he plays with regularly (his bike, a ball, baby doll and books would be all he needed, thats all he plays with!)
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
Ds uses his Skuut every single day. Its the only toy he plays with regularly (his bike, a ball, baby doll and books would be all he needed, thats all he plays with!)
so he likes B things