Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
Rebelsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
*UPDATE* Positive thoughts for my son PLEASE (explicit pics)

UPDATE!!! Rebel is doing amazing, totally back to his old self. Here are some updated pics for everyone:

My stomach is turning just writing this. I know I'm not 'welcome' on DS but I wanted to ask for your prayers/thoughts for my son.

"For everyone who doesn't know the whole story. 5/25/10 at 12:30pm our 8 year old family dog viciously attacked our 16m. old son, for no apparent reason. She was put to sleep within a hour of the incident. He is currently in ICU at UCI, one of the best hospitals in the country. There were 8 lacerations to his face, 2 puncture wounds to his throat, 2 puncture wounds to his nose, his mouth is fractured and his front tooth is missing. He endured 3 hours of plastic surgery the same day"

I want everyone to use my experience to remember to always use precautions with animals around your children. Doesn't matter if you've had them forever, we had our dog for 8 years. Our dog "snapped" plain and simple. There was no explanation for her behavior and she was dealt with appropriately for her situation I believe. She was dog aggressive, and now people aggressive, and had zero change of adoption, and was apparently having some feelings that couldn't be dealt with. After assessing the situation the animal control officer made the assumption she was out for 'the kill'. She BARELY missed his jugular vein and his eye.

CPS has already investigated the situation with me, the police, and the animal control officer. Her conclusion was the same as everyone else's, that me and my husband (me in particular) saved his life. No one is at fault except the dog, which I'm sure I shouldn't assume but I am.

Please. POSITIVE THOUGHTS only. I've had some nasty things said to me that were uneducated assumptions and I am under too much stress to further explain everything. I'm having some medical problems myself and don't want to aggravate my ulcers

Our floor the night we came back to clean and get clothes/food:

40 minutes post op

24 hours (almost) post op

Chest x rays

With Daddy 24 hours latter playing with their phones

Please use this as a learning experience from someone who learned the 'hard way'. Our dog and our baby were NEVER left alone and were ALWAYS supervised when they were in the same room just for the fact that I know ANYTHING could happen. My son was simply walking to his daddy and mommy to cuddle....that's all he wanted. We were 6 inches away from him and if we had been ANY further, 2 more seconds, this *could* have been fatal.

Advertisement

Last edited by Rebelsmommy; 07-09-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Update
Rebelsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
luvcheer
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: Positive thoughts for my son PLEASE (explicit pics)

my heart goes out to you and your family for enduring such a tragedy. thank god you were there to save your son from your dog. i'm so sorry this happened and that you had to put your family pet down. thank you for sharing your story.
luvcheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Positive thoughts for my son PLEASE (explicit pics)

OMG, my heart breaks for you and your son. I'm scared of dogs. I hate them to be honest. (except the tiny ones, I don't mind them)

People alwyas have them loose at the park and I keep my kids away. I HATE when they say, my dog is safe I've had 2 bite me that had never bitten anyone in their lives.

I will be thinking of your family
Old 05-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
Rebelsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
OMG, my heart breaks for you and your son. I'm scared of dogs. I hate them to be honest. (except the tiny ones, I don't mind them)

People alwyas have them loose at the park and I keep my kids away. I HATE when they say, my dog is safe I've had 2 bite me that had never bitten anyone in their lives.

I will be thinking of your family
I can completely understand your situation and feelings. Right now we have our eye on a kitty we saw at the shelter named Scottie. He is a wonderful kitty and the therapist said to get him either a small dog/cat to help him with his nightmares sometime in the future. Plus my husband is mourning the loss of his dog and wants 'something' to 'make it better and forget about her'. Might not be a immediate adoption but it's in consideration for 'in the near future'.

Plus we don't need another animal ATM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

not to bust the cat bubble, but I have a few scars from my cats. Accidents but one is on my chin and not so lovely.

I think pets + small kids don't mix. Just my view point, no flames needed
Old 05-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Rebelsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
not to bust the cat bubble, but I have a few scars from my cats. Accidents but one is on my chin and not so lovely.

No worries like I said, the therapist encouraged us, but said that it *might* be a good idea. It depends on him ATM were not doing anything. I have lots of thinking, searching, and googling to do before we start really considering it.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Maybe a guinea pig or something.

OP
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:02 AM   #8
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Praying for a speedy pysical and mental recovery.

I was attacked by our black lab after we'd had him for 6 years. Got 80 stitches in my face at 6 years old. I bothered him while he was sleeping...which is different then a 16 month old unprovoked attack, but just goes to show you think you "know" an animal (he was dog agressive as well, but not people)
Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Big hugs mama!!! I will keep you all in my prayers.

Yes any dog can snap for any reason. Heck animal. My aunt's dog who is same age as mine well was attacked her for no good reason. Because they thought he was startled and vet saw no reasons as to why they kept him. I think it was a month or two maybe three later he did it again! To her! Mind you she has two teen sons and a DH. Her dh saw this one and no flames please but kicked the dog to get him off of her. Once was in the leg and once arm both to the bone. This dog was 10 years old. He was put to sleep also.

An afghan that was having sight issues got me in the lower eye lid when 18 mos old. Not totally dogs fault there because of sight issues eventually he was put down..he was grandma's dog.

Anyway it happens and anyone that gives you any kind of grief obviously hasn't been in a situation where a dog has turned. BTW Smokey was not a big dog at all. I forget his breed but i know it is known for being on ships. I would guess he was maybe 20-25 lbs. My dog is 35lbs and is double his height so he may have been less. He did some horrible damage to my aunt. So even watch small dogs.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #10
Rebelsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
Big hugs mama!!! I will keep you all in my prayers.

Yes any dog can snap for any reason. Heck animal. My aunt's dog who is same age as mine well was attacked her for no good reason. Because they thought he was startled and vet saw no reasons as to why they kept him. I think it was a month or two maybe three later he did it again! To her! Mind you she has two teen sons and a DH. Her dh saw this one and no flames please but kicked the dog to get him off of her. Once was in the leg and once arm both to the bone. This dog was 10 years old. He was put to sleep also.

An afghan that was having sight issues got me in the lower eye lid when 18 mos old. Not totally dogs fault there because of sight issues eventually he was put down..he was grandma's dog.

Anyway it happens and anyone that gives you any kind of grief obviously hasn't been in a situation where a dog has turned. BTW Smokey was not a big dog at all. I forget his breed but i know it is known for being on ships. I would guess he was maybe 20-25 lbs. My dog is 35lbs and is double his height so he may have been less. He did some horrible damage to my aunt. So even watch small dogs.

I understand completely about having to do what you have to do to get a dog off. My husband, a big strong 5'11" 200lb man had to hit her full strength over 20 times on her head/neck and it didn't even phase her. I jumped next to her and when she went to attack ME (I distracted her), my husband went after her to get control of her collar and she bit him on the hand so he hit her as hard as he could with the other hand and she let go. He grabbed her collar and hurled her outside and locked the door. I don't think for a second this was anything other then self defence. We had no other option besides lethal options and I was glad we were able to get her off without going to further measures.