Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
at what point do you say it is TOO hot for LO's to be outside?

I know this will vary by area & what's normal high/low temps there, plus the tolerances of each kiddo, but is there a certain point where you just say enough is enough? We live in Southern Illinois...our heat usually peaks in the mid to high 90s in July & August, but we went to the zoo this last weekend at my mom's insistance...she's from Florida where this kind of heat is normal for her. It was 97 outside with a 103 heat index...our kids were crabby the moment we were outside in the heat and me & my sister were both saying "it is TOO hot" while my mom insisted that the only reason the kids were crabby & miserable was because me & my sister were saying something. I saw a momma walking around with infant twins in a double stroller & somebody asked her how old they were--3 WEEKS!! In 100+ degree index weather!! I was honestly shocked at how many little bitty ones I saw out in the heat. My kiddos generally stay inside during the main part of the day and go outside to play in their pool after about 5 o'clock when its starting to cool off, but I see neighborhood kids that are 4 & 5 running around in the heat all day long *unsupervised, but that's a WHOLE different story*. So, at what point do you say its TOO hot for the kiddos??

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: at what point do you say it is TOO hot for LO's to be outside?

Mine have a built in barometer and they will turn red in the face if they are too hot.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphinium View Post
Mine have a built in barometer and they will turn red in the face if they are too hot.
mine do to..lol
When it reaches 107* or higher we will not let them play outside. Under that really isn't that hot. We are from california so hot for us is not the same kind of hot for others who come from colder states. Same as for cold, being from here, cold for us where we are freezing is like 49*..LOL
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
smashncakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
mine do to..lol
When it reaches 107* or higher we will not let them play outside. Under that really isn't that hot. We are from california so hot for us is not the same kind of hot for others who come from colder states. Same as for cold, being from here, cold for us where we are freezing is like 49*..LOL
My mom is always shocked when I tell her the kids are outside playing when its in the 20s and 30s here...it made me when we went to Florida a couple years ago and I saw kids wearing parkas at the bus stop when it was in the mid 40s..heck, my kids are still wearing light jackets when its in the 40s
Old 05-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
smashncakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphinium View Post
lol If I followed that, mine wouldn't be outside if it was over about 70 degrees Both of mine have pale complexions (DD is a redhead) and get really red in the face just barely going outside. They both also sweat super-easily...I have the a/c in the house running at 74 right now and they're both still sweating on their noses.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If the news says "There is a heat index" or a heat advisory we don't go outside, otherwise I kick them out.

#3 I keep inside more but he tends to get heat rash if it climbs above 80...poor baby
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
kittyn
Registered Users
seller

Basically, if I'm completely miserable, we come inside. So somewhere about 95 or so? My kiddo would happily stay outside no matter how hot it was, doesn't seem to even notice or be affected by it. He just strips as many clothes as I'll allow and goes about his day as long as he has something to drink.

We're in Indiana, btw, so it's not like insane heat is frequent or anything, so elsewhere I might find his limit, but nothing so far
kittyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
SugarAndSpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in Florida also. What most people don't understand that has never been here is that it isn't just heat. It's very, very high humidity. When it's so sticky, breathing becomes yucky, and your hair frizzes after 2 seconds if it's anything like mine.

Right now it's too hot. We are consistently in the 90s with 100-115 heat indexs, and very high UV indexs (10 on the chart)

On that note, that doesn't mean we don't go out at all. It means we try to go out before 10:00am and after 4:00pm, when it isn't necessarily cooler, but the sun isn't directly over head, and shady areas are easier found. We also go through as much sun screen as oxygen.

To add to that, we do visit many of the local theme parks, zoos, and aquariums in the middle of Summer, but we stay very hydrated (think freeze half of our water bottles) and bring along atleast 6 per person, and refills throughout the day. We also utilize cold hand towels around our necks (I've been asked more than once if I was leaking, hehe) since there are so many nerve ending in that area that can cool you. We also love those geeky battery powered spray fans, and fill them with ice water regularly.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
j+csmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tend to just follow my kids cues. DD doesn't really like to get too hot so when she says she's ready to go in, we go in. DS on the other hand will run around like a banshee all day if I let him, so...I do. I just make sure we take frequent breaks, stay hydrated, and try to get him to play in the shade as much as possible. The baby usually stays inside with me though, hehe!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just pay attention to the kiddos. They played outside most of the day today. It was high 90's but we actually have trees that make a lot of shade. I can only stand 5mins in the front yard while in the backyard it feels just fine lol We play a lot more outside when it's hot then when it's cold. I just cant stand being outside when it's 40something

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote