Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: at what point do you say it is TOO hot for LO's to be outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSpiceX3 View Post
I'm in Florida also. What most people don't understand that has never been here is that it isn't just heat. It's very, very high humidity. When it's so sticky, breathing becomes yucky, and your hair frizzes after 2 seconds if it's anything like mine.

Right now it's too hot. We are consistently in the 90s with 100-115 heat indexs, and very high UV indexs (10 on the chart)

On that note, that doesn't mean we don't go out at all. It means we try to go out before 10:00am and after 4:00pm, when it isn't necessarily cooler, but the sun isn't directly over head, and shady areas are easier found. We also go through as much sun screen as oxygen.

To add to that, we do visit many of the local theme parks, zoos, and aquariums in the middle of Summer, but we stay very hydrated (think freeze half of our water bottles) and bring along atleast 6 per person, and refills throughout the day. We also utilize cold hand towels around our necks (I've been asked more than once if I was leaking, hehe) since there are so many nerve ending in that area that can cool you. We also love those geeky battery powered spray fans, and fill them with ice water regularly.
Yes, exactly this!!

We are in Central Florida as well and do everything early or later. And when we are outside the pool is always there so we can all cool off!

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
mine do to..lol
When it reaches 107* or higher we will not let them play outside. Under that really isn't that hot. We are from california so hot for us is not the same kind of hot for others who come from colder states. Same as for cold, being from here, cold for us where we are freezing is like 49*..LOL
haha! 49 would be wonderful if that was the coldest NY got! I couldn't handle 107 though. I'd have a heat stroke. lol
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm in PHoenix. We can't go outside at all in the summer unless it's to play in the water. Otherwise, we just ride out the very long summer inside.

So I'd say over 100 degrees.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I'm in PHoenix. We can't go outside at all in the summer unless it's to play in the water. Otherwise, we just ride out the very long summer inside.

So I'd say over 100 degrees.
I used to live in Glendale and I so remember that!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphinium View Post
Mine have a built in barometer and they will turn red in the face if they are too hot.
DD is the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSpiceX3 View Post
I'm in Florida also. What most people don't understand that has never been here is that it isn't just heat. It's very, very high humidity. When it's so sticky, breathing becomes yucky, and your hair frizzes after 2 seconds if it's anything like mine.

Right now it's too hot. We are consistently in the 90s with 100-115 heat indexs, and very high UV indexs (10 on the chart)

On that note, that doesn't mean we don't go out at all. It means we try to go out before 10:00am and after 4:00pm, when it isn't necessarily cooler, but the sun isn't directly over head, and shady areas are easier found. We also go through as much sun screen as oxygen.

To add to that, we do visit many of the local theme parks, zoos, and aquariums in the middle of Summer, but we stay very hydrated (think freeze half of our water bottles) and bring along atleast 6 per person, and refills throughout the day. We also utilize cold hand towels around our necks (I've been asked more than once if I was leaking, hehe) since there are so many nerve ending in that area that can cool you. We also love those geeky battery powered spray fans, and fill them with ice water regularly.

We are in Charleston SC and its the same here. We dont go out after about noon until it hits about 4 or 5pm.

I have to be very careful with DD though with her allergies, asthma and eczema. If I let her get too hot and/or sweaty, her asthma will flare and she will start coughing and weezing and her eczema will flare up.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #16
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

since i grew up mainly in the humid, hot, south...i really have never had a problem with it. if DS seems like he is getting over-heated then i bring him in. DS face turns red and he sweats easily if he is hot, so i just watch him for those signs.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
nkdmkmom
Registered Users

We usually don't go out too much when it is over 90 degrees, unless we are swimming. In the summer, most of our outdoor playing is before 11AM, and after 5PM. Fortunately, we have a couple of very tall shade trees in our front and back yard and can get relief that way, and stay out a little bit longer than we would otherwise.
nkdmkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #18
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennamathis View Post
lol If I followed that, mine wouldn't be outside if it was over about 70 degrees Both of mine have pale complexions (DD is a redhead) and get really red in the face just barely going outside. They both also sweat super-easily...I have the a/c in the house running at 74 right now and they're both still sweating on their noses.
Sounds like my kids. I see those as signs that they are too hot and I bring them in.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #19
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

If it hits, 110, we're not going outside. Above 100, we usually go outside only to do water play. Anything in the 90's doesn't bother me a bit.
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #20
mandyhoward
Registered Users

I let them stay out as long as they want, generally. If we go to the park or out in the front yard, we only stay out as long as I can stand it (and I HATE to sweat). If they are playing in the (totally fenced) backyard, I make sure they have drinks outside and check on them very frequently. But they can stay out until they can't take it anymore.