Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #21
goingfor3
Registered Users

Re: at what point do you say it is TOO hot for LO's to be outside?

I will take kids outside in hot or cold. During the heat, the most important thing is water. My youngest gets red sooner, and then it is time to come inside. I generally just sit on my swing on my deck and relax!
Kids will take cues from you, so if you are whining that it is hot, they will learn to hang out inside. I use to live in Southern Missouri for 5 years, and the humidity is nothing like here in Nebraska!

Advertisement

goingfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #22
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is the heat index that makes it so bad...ie humidity. I was out in 110+ degree heat in AZ last summer. DD wasn't with me but I am sure she would have been fine doing what I did and we were out walking around and all. Here it hits 85+ if any humidity and I want to just die going out. I sweat more here then I did in AZ with the higher temps. South Dakota has no humidity either and i know it hit 90+ a few days DD was out playing. She was fine and loved it.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #23
yummymummy07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here in AZ, the schools don't let the kids go out for recess if it's over 110, but IMO, anything over 90 is too hot to be running around outside in the sun. Playing quietly in the shade is a different story though. I just hate to be hot though!

yummymummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #24
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We dont go out if its over 105 (unless we are in the pool with LOTS of sunscreen and an umbrella in the pool)

We are also in the desert so its dry, if it were say 95 in Chicago we would not play outside...WAY to humid/muggy....EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #25
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyhoward View Post
I let them stay out as long as they want, generally. If we go to the park or out in the front yard, we only stay out as long as I can stand it (and I HATE to sweat). If they are playing in the (totally fenced) backyard, I make sure they have drinks outside and check on them very frequently. But they can stay out until they can't take it anymore.
I LOVE your avi. That is an awesome dipe mama !!!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #26
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we basically go outside whenever but within reason. we try to outside between 9-12 and 5-7 later afternoon is usually too hot, easy to get dehydrated and heat exhaustion.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #27
sUpermOm81
Do not B/T with. Contact ~happy2Bamommy~ if involved in a transaction.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLiberty View Post
If it hits, 110, we're not going outside. Above 100, we usually go outside only to do water play. Anything in the 90's doesn't bother me a bit.
same here. we are in texas

It was almost 100 here today and we were outside swimming for hours!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #28
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another California Mama!
We stay in the shade and play in water all summer! Now, when it gets too hot and sometimes we get air advisory warnings, then we stay inside until the breeze starts up, then head back outside!

We just make sure the kids and ourselves are hydrated!

It only gets over 100 a few times during the summer and usually high 90's other days. We do live REALLY close the the ocean, very often we get HUGE THICK fog banks!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #29
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i live in south GA and it's hot here all the time...LOL. we stay outside til the kids are cranky and sweaty, then we come in for a break. we live in a very shaded yard, so they can play outside almost all day. when i put the little kids down for their nap, around 1:30, i just have my oldest come in. he might venture out around 3:30 or 4:00 to take care of some bad guys (LOL!), but usually we are inside doing stuff til the little kids get up.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #30
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it totally depends on where you live and what you're used to. Here in Alaska the kids are allowed to play outside during recess unless the temperature is under 10 degrees. That's the school districts policy generally.

UNDER 10 degrees!! It's insane, but to them (or us) it's "normal." I'm sure most people don't let their kids play outside when it's 10 degree, 20 degrees.

So, for us when it reaches 70 or even 80 it's HOT. I think 80 or 90 is too hot for kids- but again, depends on the shade/wind/humidity and what you're used to!
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote