Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
simeonsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cloth & vacation

We are driving from Indiana to Ontario (Niagara Falls). I hate, hate, hate disposables BUT I don't know that I want to drive around with a load full of dirty diapers either. Ewwww! Plus there'd be nowhere to wash them. Should I just go w/ sposies & forget it? Or is there a non toxic, non smelly way to travel w/ cloth?

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth & vacation

You could get one of those storage bins to put the dirties in, that way at least when you are in the car, the storage bin lid is sealed shut and you wouldn't smell it.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

Or just go get some gdiapers and use the disposable inserts? Or flips I think have a disposable system also? With summer around the corner I am about to go a package of gs because toting around the GIANT bucket of dipes is not fun or convenient.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Depending on the length of the trip, I'd just go with disposables...but that's just me. I always have a pack of Huggies Pure & Natural on hand since I have to send DD to the church nursery in one.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do cloth! Or even start some EC - that's what we did (cloth and began EC) on a cancun trip. I brought cloth and then between time in a swim diaper and rinsing diapers and putting them to dry on the hotel balcony, it can easily be done.

we've also done a triple wash in the hotel washer trick as well. just get some liners if your son poops and you'll be fine!
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I am die-hard cloth diapering mama. I have traveled 12-13 hours straight with my boys and used cloth. I just made a couple of fleece wetbags and was good to go. I stashed the dirties in there and you couldn't smell them. You can use disposable liners and throw away those to reduce the smell. maybe even toss a little piece of cloth with some essential oil on it to help.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
Mommy2Zara
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought a couple of GroBaby shells and a pack of the BioSoakers for our last trip.And a pair of gpants and some gdiaper sposie inserts. I also used some of our Thirsties wraps. I hated the sposie inserts. They felt so yucky and I don't think DD like them either.

Next time, I'll just use some flats folded into my wraps (BSWW, Thirsties, GroBaby). Flats are super easy to hand wash and hang dry
Old 05-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
VeryChicBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: jenny342
seller

My Mood:

We are gearing up for a thousand mile each way 2 week trip & will only use our cloth. Liam has never been in sposies & I can't imagine using them for a vacation. Honestly, I cannot imagine him allowing me to even appproach him with a disposable diaper - he is pretty picky about what diapers he wears lol.

You can do it - just be diligent - it will all work fine. GL!

Jenny, Mama to many, 16, 14, 11, & 3 & & 10 mth baby girl!!

~Custom Recycled Wool Shoes ~ & Leather, OBV & Fabric Soft Soles

VeryChicBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i am hard core cloth...lol. we do cloth on all of our out of town trips, no matter how long. if i have to use a laundry mat, i just wash them 2 or 3 times. and i use a wetbag to store the dirties, so no worries there. when i get home, i just strip the dipes. it's easy enough for me. i haven't had any problems w/this method and we've been CDing for over 3 yrs.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

For trips we use gDiaper flushies and Flip disposables in our Pul covers...Thirsties and Booroi. That's what we do everytime we go visit family. We tried disposable wipes one of those trips and DD's butt was raw! Never doing that again! Cloth wipes for all trips now.