Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is aluminum foil bad for you?

I was just wondering. I want to use foil for cooking while we camp, but dh used it twice last week at home (no bake cookies!!!!) and I could taste metallic flavors in the parts that were touching the foil. Is it really safe or not to cook with? Does anybody know?

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is aluminum foil bad for you?

well, Al. is linked to things like Alzheimers, I imagine some of the Al. does leach. I try not to use it if I can avoid it.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Kbunz14
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cook with foil about 2x a week (easy clean up!) and there isn't any metal taste...Usually it's heated to 350-400 degrees too....I assume it's okay to cook with it because that is their main marketing thing, but I guess I never really researched it.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, there is actually a lot of research both ways on the connection between aluminum and alzheimers. So, don't toss out the foil now.

Aluminum foil has a coating on one side. I forget which side by my dh always makes a big deal about that, saying the coating is not healthy.

I don't think it is possible for a metal to leach during baking but you could have gotten the coating on the cookies.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
daisymommy
Registered Users
seller

There is no coating unless you buy the special non-stick version; but regular foil doesn't have a coating. There is also no right/wrong side to foil. When you heat something up, that is what causes it to leach chemicals--that's why you don't microwave plastic, or put it in your dishwasher.

We don't use foil whenever it is going to touch our food because of the whole aluminum/Alzheimer link, and it is a neurotoxin.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did something metallic touch the foil AND the cookies? Like a spatula? Because that gives a metallic taste for me.
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ha ha- no nothing else touched the cookies- DH's spoon to the foil and then I just scooped em up still warm with my fingers lol I've read that aluminum reacts with stuff like tomato products, but there's nothing like that in nobakes. Thanks for sharing your opinions gang!
Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
ecomother
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's not just heat that can cause leaching of a material (acids). I use aluminum foil sometimes, mainly for wrapping baking potatoes and covering foods (and the occasional no-bake cookies, yum!!), and have never gotten a metallic taste. A long time ago it was actually tin foil, which supposedly did give a metallic taste which is probably one reason why the switch was made to aluminum foil. I can't help but thinking most of the info out there on the "dangers" of aluminum foil are created by fear mongers and not based on actual scientific data. There is Al in baking powder, soda cans, table salt, and many other commonly used items, so if you are worried about Al exposure you should consider these things too. There are also minerals that bind with Al in the body which can help in removal of Al (ie. calcium, magnesium).

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...shiny-side-out

http://www.thedietchannel.com/Alzheimers-Disease.htm

Last edited by ecomother; 05-29-2010 at 11:11 AM.
ecomother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomother View Post
It's not just heat that can cause leaching of a material (acids). I use aluminum foil sometimes, mainly for wrapping baking potatoes and covering foods (and the occasional no-bake cookies, yum!!), and have never gotten a metallic taste. A long time ago it was actually tin foil, which supposedly did give a metallic taste which is probably one reason why the switch was made to aluminum foil. I can't help but thinking most of the info out there on the "dangers" of aluminum foil are created by fear mongers and not based on actual scientific data. There is Al in baking powder, soda cans, table salt, and many other commonly used items, so if you are worried about Al exposure you should consider these things too. There are also minerals that bind with Al in the body which can help in removal of Al (ie. calcium, magnesium).

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...shiny-side-out

http://www.thedietchannel.com/Alzheimers-Disease.htm
not in our baking soda, baking powder and salt there's not
Old 05-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my dh always said it has a coating. I googled to confirm it does not. I will have to share with him.

Baking soda should not have aluminum in it. It is just baking soda. Rumford brand baking powder is aluminum free. That is what we use. We use kosher salt which is just salt.