Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Sassu
Registered Users
seller

Life with toddler??

Is it just me or is this normal?
EVERY night after I get DD to bed I come out of her room and feel like for the first time I can really SEE the house. And it looks like a bomb went off in every room. Is this just the norm for life with a toddler, 3 big house-dogs and a harried mom with a traveling husband or am I exceptionally worthless?
If it's the latter, give me some pointers please!

Advertisement

Sassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Life with toddler??

Sometimes I cannot even fins a clear spot where the bomb would have been. You are not alone mama. I have 2 and it is really bad some days. My only sanity saver is knowing that they obviously had a lot of fun destroying the place.

Oh and since I have learned a few things along the way.
*Place only one small shelf for books and don't have more books than fit there.
*Place a small basket in the main area to collect toys into and take back into the playroom/bedroom throughout the day.
*Have some focus toys that have a place of their own and can be put back easily. (I have a 3 tier book shelf...the top has a bead maze and a peg pounder. 2nd shelf is a shape sorter, ring stacker x 2, and stacking cups. These shelves are our focus toys. 3rd shelf is books.)

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Sassu
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
Sometimes I cannot even fins a clear spot where the bomb would have been.
Exactly! And thanks for the tips - that's helpful. But the bad thing is that it's not just her stuff! My stuff is a wreck too - dinner clean up, mail sorting, laundry, etc. I usually pick up during nap time but it doesn't seem to matter. I guess I'm having trouble keeping up with her and the housework on my own all the time. So I end up doing a major overhaul after she's in bed every night. And sometimes I just don't feel up to it
Sassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine looks like a bomb went off followed by a tornado and tossed around by a hurricane. DH came home from work and busted his butt to get it cleaned up after dinner, which made me feel guilty (though I can't help it, because I had an extra kid today and they were seriously wearing me out!)

Besides, what's that old saying? Cleaning the house while the children are growing is like shoveling the walk while it's still snowing?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Cussin' Crafter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

as I was cleaning this evening I was thinking about how nice and clean my house USED to be. Now, even if the house is clean, the high up shelves and on top of the fridge are always cluttered with stuff that I need to keep out of reach from my DD. *sigh*

I pick up throughout the day but I don't really even bother to clean until about 8-9 at night after she is in bed otherwise she'll just mess it up in 1.5 seconds.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

LOL - no pets, one 8 month old and I'm not working and some days it looks like a bomb too and you know what - I just don't care - I will clean it up, but sometimes I just don't feel like it. (But, I'd do the same thing, pre-kid - mess it up, clean it up, mess it up - well, its always "clean"....) I can't even blame my child yet... its all us.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

My house is a wreck. I've come to terms with it. I keep the kids areas picked up and the rest of the house liveable. Come summer, I'm going to hire a mother's helper for a few mornings so I can get some of the clutter cleared out. In a few years, when the kids are older, I'll work more on keeping the house really neat. Right now, I just want to enjoy my kids while they're little.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
rappgirl3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm sorry I won't be much help, just know I'm right there with you. My house needs serious help!!! And my boys continually spill, dump, scribble, (and sometimes pee)in the living room all day long!
rappgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
kittyn
Registered Users
seller

I don't know about bomb, but some random force of nature seems to deny me a clean house. This is just with me, a four year old, and his daddy. I look around at the end of the day or when everything's quiet and it's just...Wow, what happened?

Overall, ridiculous. I now am even more in awe of my mom for managing to raise two kids by herself with a full time job and keep the house at moderate to high level of clean. It's definately a skill that isn't inherited.

About the best idea I had was having a toy box in his room and a bin downstairs so that there is less dragging of kid toys everywhere under the sun. Now if I could find a permanent home for daddy toys I might actually be getting somewhere!
kittyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:08 AM   #10
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassu View Post
Exactly! And thanks for the tips - that's helpful. But the bad thing is that it's not just her stuff! My stuff is a wreck too - dinner clean up, mail sorting, laundry, etc. I usually pick up during nap time but it doesn't seem to matter. I guess I'm having trouble keeping up with her and the housework on my own all the time. So I end up doing a major overhaul after she's in bed every night. And sometimes I just don't feel up to it
We cut down on *our* stuff too--like one big & one little plate per person. That's it. Working on clothes now, too. It's so much nicer. (We still have the other dishes in case of guests--just not in the cabinet.) I generally have counters again .
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote