Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
rappgirl3
Registered Users

My Mood:
2 yo. won't let anyone give him a hair cut!!!

Help! We've even tried to cut his hair while sleeping! He knows what we are trying to do and starts flailing his arms around and wakes up! And yes we've tried to bribe him with something if he would comply. Didn't work!

Any ideas????

Advertisement

rappgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2 yo. won't let anyone give him a hair cut!!!

How verbal is he? Is there any way for him to communicate what he's upset about?

DS2 HATES haircuts. He's only been verbal for the last year (he is 4.5yo) and the conclusion I've come to is that his problem is a mix of dreading the itch (and having the fear come true once the cutting starts) and the sound of the clippers. He fights me and cries 'scary, scary!'

What works for me is to work through in stages. I'll get as much done as I can, then he gets a bath to wash off the itch. For his last haircut, we actually did the first stage IN the bathtub. This has worked well - he still itches, but now he has a way to 'fix' it. He wipes his face off with the wet washcloth. I don't mess with him again until the next day, if possible.

And then he gets something special. A cheeseburger (he loves 'em) or ice cream. Not so much as a bribery because it's not always worth it to him before hand. More as a reward for putting up with me and my cruel ways It's just about time for another haircut (only been about 3-4 months!) and I am not looking forward to it at all.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cut his hair when he's ready to have it cut. Long hair looks cute on boys.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Elsaraw
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have mine stand at the bathroom sink and I fill it with water and put interesting play things to play with in there. Then use some very rounded scissors and take a little snip at a time while he is distracted with the water. Eventually, he gave up caring I was cutting his hair.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
sallyjean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine wouldn't let me cut his hair either. We took him to a barber who is good with kids, he sat relatively still and loved his new haircut (and the lolli-pop that came with it). Sometimes they're better when mom's not around, takes away the power struggle I think.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
mandyhoward
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
Cut his hair when he's ready to have it cut. Long hair looks cute on boys.

We cut ds1's hair into a style that wouldn't turn into a mullet and just let it go. Yes, this means the hair gets in his eyes, but it is his hair so if it doesn't bother him, it doesn't bother me.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyhoward View Post

We cut ds1's hair into a style that wouldn't turn into a mullet and just let it go. Yes, this means the hair gets in his eyes, but it is his hair so if it doesn't bother him, it doesn't bother me.
This is the philosophy that I've always had...drives the MIL crazy.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
alexsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have so so luck with my 2 year old and his haircuts. Sometimes he's fine, other times it's horrible. He's extremely verbal, but when we ask him what the trouble is he tells us "I cry when Aunt Neese cuts my hair. I not like it." My DH's aunt cuts his hair, so he knows and loves her, just not when she has scissors! My DH even has her cut his hair right before, but that doesn't help either.
He looks goofy with long hair and it drives my husband nuts, so we continue to hope for the best every time. So, for now, when he sits nicely he gets a treat, when he starts to kick and flair DH holds him. Not ideal, but our theory is that not everything in life is a choice. Your hair will be cut, your nails will be clipped and you will sit in your carseat. Those have been other issues in the past - he's gotten over them and I'm sure he'll trade this one in soon enough for something else!
I guess you have to decide how important it is for your family to have his hair cut
alexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just adding - DS1 had a hard time with haircuts from his 2nd or 3rd cut (1st was at 1 year), but abruptly became tolerant when he turned 4. I know that's a while from now, but there should be an end on the horizon
Old 05-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't have any advice for you sorry.

My soon to be 3yr old Nephew won't let anyone cut his hair either. He would allow his bangs to be trimmed but my Sister quit having his bangs trimmed last Summer. My Sister is going to have it trimmed later on this Summer so it'll be a little neater looking before he starts Preschool right now his hair is half way down his back.

If he was to say tomorrow that he wanted his hair cut we'd have it done but for now it's being left alone.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote