Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Re: 2 yo. won't let anyone give him a hair cut!!!

I say let it grow! Or take him someplace and see if he'll sit for them. Maybe have your DH take him and have a "man day"

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was a hairstylist and lots of little boys dont like the feeling of getting their hair cut. Little ones are so much more sensitive than adults and then add in the fear of the unknown.

I would try wrapping him in a large blanket, almost like a swaddle to keep his arms still and then have him sit directly in front of your dh. Have your dh hold him like hes giving him a big bear hug from behind and then if necessary have him wrap his legs around your ds.

If he his flipping out, then dont do it obviously. But I know of someone who uses this technique when her ds with sensory issues visits the dentist. To clarify, you aren't wrapping him to immobilize him (though it does that too) but to help calm him.

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #13
rappgirl3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you soooo much for the responses! I love the ideas I get from the Mamas here!

Ok, so this is what happened. I stayed awake till 2 am. trimming snip by snip. He did wake up SEVERAL x's and he didn't like what I was trying to do. SO I had to wait EVERYTIME for him to fall back to sleep. That's why it took me till 2am. What an ordeal!!!!
ALL I CAN SAY IS I'M THANKFUL FOR HATS!!!!!
rappgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

My kids get to choose when they get there hair cut. So I have no idea how to force somebody to get there hair cut besides strapping them down with duct tape lol.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kearnan hated hair cuts so we just didn't do them. For him it was sensory. From 2-7.5 he didn't have a single hair cut other than my trimming the ends maybe once a year when he was asleep or distracted right after a bath (I would comb it out while he watched a movie and trim the ends while it was still wet). It just isn't worth it to me. It's his hair anyway, he might as well wear it as he wants it. His 1st grade teacher pressured him enough that he eventually cut it but has been letting it grow out since then. I do shave the underside out for him but it is pretty long on top again. He loves his hair long and so do I. Tharen didn't have his first haircut till 2.5 and has kept it short since. He doesn't like hair cuts but he hates having hair in his eyes. His hair is pretty wild and he won't let me tie it back at all so this is his preference. For a while he told me he wanted to grow it out long like Kearnan's and wear it in pigtails (Kearnan likes pig tails) but then decided against it. I just remind him that he doesn't want his hair to be long and he lets me cut it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
rappgirl3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJmomof2 View Post
My kids get to choose when they get there hair cut. So I have no idea how to force somebody to get there hair cut besides strapping them down with duct tape lol.
You're the 2nd that has voted duct tape!!!! 2Funny!!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #17
rappgirl3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Kearnan hated hair cuts so we just didn't do them. For him it was sensory. From 2-7.5 he didn't have a single hair cut other than my trimming the ends maybe once a year when he was asleep or distracted right after a bath (I would comb it out while he watched a movie and trim the ends while it was still wet). It just isn't worth it to me. It's his hair anyway, he might as well wear it as he wants it. His 1st grade teacher pressured him enough that he eventually cut it but has been letting it grow out since then. I do shave the underside out for him but it is pretty long on top again. He loves his hair long and so do I. Tharen didn't have his first haircut till 2.5 and has kept it short since. He doesn't like hair cuts but he hates having hair in his eyes. His hair is pretty wild and he won't let me tie it back at all so this is his preference. For a while he told me he wanted to grow it out long like Kearnan's and wear it in pigtails (Kearnan likes pig tails) but then decided against it. I just remind him that he doesn't want his hair to be long and he lets me cut it.

I too love boys with A LITTLE curly locks, it is so cute and natural. But it doesn't go over well with our family. I'm a little curious, in your town do the little guys get percieved as girls (like at the grocery store)? My ds#1 had longer hair and soooo many people called him "she". It made me kinda upset. I just got to the point of giving him a boy cut. We live in a very rural area with not much diversity. Everyone pretty much conforms. Sad but true.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #18
L8ybuggz
Registered Users

We've been lucky with ds. He loves getting his hair cut, eventhough we have been growing it out, but have taken him for trims. I just figured that if he wouldn't want his haircut that that was a battle that I wasn't going to fight. It's his hair, I figure he'll tell me when he wants it cut. He is currently 2.5 an recently told me he wanted his hair cut, so we took him in for a trim. Everyone always comments on his hair, since he has curls at the bottom... With that said, I will let him decide what he wants to do with his hair even if I don't agree with it. I think part of it is because I wasn't allowed to cut my hair until I was 15, I hated not being able to have control of my own identity till then that I swore I wouldn't do that to my child.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappgirl3 View Post
I too love boys with A LITTLE curly locks, it is so cute and natural. But it doesn't go over well with our family. I'm a little curious, in your town do the little guys get percieved as girls (like at the grocery store)? My ds#1 had longer hair and soooo many people called him "she". It made me kinda upset. I just got to the point of giving him a boy cut. We live in a very rural area with not much diversity. Everyone pretty much conforms. Sad but true.
They do, it doesn't bother them and it doesn't bother me. I actually live in a pretty big suburb and there are plenty of men around with long hair. That long skater boy cut is still pretty popular around here. But even so I guess people just assume parents would make their little boys cut their hair. Kearnan has actually been called "she" since birth when he had practically no hair. Having a boys cut as a toddler didn't help either. People are just determined that he is a girl. He has very delicate features. He doesn't often notice and really doesn't care. For the longest time if people called him a girl he would say "I'm not a girl, I'm a Kearnan" he had the same response when they called him a boy too. Now if he notices he just says "No, I'm a boy". He even wears his hair in pigtails I can see why it is confusing but he is almost 9 and it is his hair. Tharen was rarely called a girl, even when he had longer hair. He just apparently has a "boy quality" to him. I don't let it bug me. My brother had long hair in high school and my hair was super short. From behind we were frequently mistaken for the opposite gender (we are only 18months apart and hung out alot as teens). I can't count how many times a man would come up behind me and say "Dude, I've been waiting for you" or "Dude, it's been a while." When I would turn around they were shocked that I was not A)the person they were looking for and B) not a "dude". I still keep my hair in the same style, but since having kids I've developed hips and people don't often mistake my gender anymore.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #20
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8ybuggz View Post
We've been lucky with ds. He loves getting his hair cut, eventhough we have been growing it out, but have taken him for trims. I just figured that if he wouldn't want his haircut that that was a battle that I wasn't going to fight. It's his hair, I figure he'll tell me when he wants it cut. He is currently 2.5 an recently told me he wanted his hair cut, so we took him in for a trim. Everyone always comments on his hair, since he has curls at the bottom... With that said, I will let him decide what he wants to do with his hair even if I don't agree with it. I think part of it is because I wasn't allowed to cut my hair until I was 15, I hated not being able to have control of my own identity till then that I swore I wouldn't do that to my child.
I think this is why to this day I can't stand for my hair to get below my shoulders. My mother wouldn't let me cut my hair at all. It was so long I could sit on it and I hated it. When I was 17 I cut it all off and buzzed my head. I have let it grow out a few times since then but now I'm back to the buzzed head and I prefer it this way. When Kearnan was little my mother pressured me frequently to get his hair cut, and that is why we did it until he was 2.5. I finally just put my foot down. It's his hair and he hates getting hair cuts. He can have long hair, it isn't hurting anyone. My mother got over it pretty quickly but my dad still rolls his eyes when he sees Kearnan in pig tails. Whatever, he likes it. Tharen on the other hand told me when he was 2.5 that he wanted a mohawk. So we went and got him a mohawk. My father was no more impressed with that than the long hair.