Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

FLOVENT questions for Asthma??

My 3 1/2 year old DD has asthma that has worsened during a virus/cold and has required several ER visits in the last two months. She went to a Pulmonologist on Monday who was very concerned about the IV and oral steroids given at the ER to get her asthma attacks under control and recommended Flovent. She said that it is better than the Pulmicort that DD had previously had via nebulizer but was tapered off of about a year ago. I am very concerned because it seems everything I read on the internet talks about children having behavioral and mood problems related to the medication. I am hoping moms here have experiences to share so I can make an informed decision....thanks.

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
upzndowns
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: FLOVENT questions for Asthma??

My oldest was hospitalized at the end of kindergarten, because his allergies trigger asthma attacks and we had a horrendous pollen season. He was in there for 5 days on both oral & IV steroids, and upon his release we were given an indefinite time frame for him to be on both xoponex and pulmicort with the neb. That's what his ped. said, "indefinitely."

His allergist and I came up with a plan that I could stomach better, and it included flovent. Not once in the last 2 years has he been to the doctor for breathing related problems, much less the E.R., and he doesn't need his rescue inhaler half as much as he used to. So... for us, it's working without the worse side effects of oral steroids. I'm not happy with it, because I think it's not been studied for long term effects long enough, but for now it keeps my kid healthy. We wean him off it in the fall.

YMMV, and others may have different experiences. Good luck to you and your daughter.
upzndowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for the encouraging words...it is the first positive experience that I have read so far!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds is on flovent. It has really been helpful in keeping down the number of times he needs the nebulizer or his abluterol inhaler. Usually when he gets a cold (his main trigger along / dust) we end up at the childrens hospital or at the ped's office. So far we are on week 3 of his current cold and he just started needing his nebulizer last night.
I have not seen any mood or behavioral changes with this particular med.
*hugs*
Old 05-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
sUpermOm81
Do not B/T with. Contact ~happy2Bamommy~ if involved in a transaction.
seller

My Mood:

Ds is on Flovent and he has an albuterol inhaler for before excersise. We only have to use the nebulizer when its really bad (like high pollen count)
I have not seen any negative side effects. Actually, it has made ds more tolerable, because now he is sleeping instead of coughing all night.
He is 7 1/2.

Last edited by sUpermOm81; 05-29-2010 at 10:40 PM.
sUpermOm81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We didnt like Flovent...still needed our rescue meds more than once a week. We have switched to asmanex (along with singuliar, nasaqort, zyrtec) and have not needed rescue meds in MONTHS! My son has pretty severe asthma and this so far is the only combo we have used that works. Pulmicort did nothing and flovent gave him crazy nightmares. Asmanex has approval for 4-11 and an adult dosage as well. Its SOOO much easier than neb treatments and we are free of dragging the darn thing around everywhere. My son is 6 and has now been using it for a year.When before he used to have attacks daily, they are few and far between.

ALL drugs have side effects and steroids of any kind have lots of risks, but so does a severe attack. I think different meds work for kids differently (ours was trial and error for sure!)

Good luck! Asthma is not fun.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

I have been on Flovent and I *never* have mood swings! Ask my dh.

Seriously though, I had no issues with it as a teenager and adult and it did help prevent attacks.

My only other experience with it is my dd had it while in the NICU and the first couple of months home. She was not a preemie, (9lb, 6oz!) but had severe Meconium Aspiration Syndrome and had to be on a vent the first couple of weeks. They started the Flovent (2 puffs/2x a day) after they removed the vent. We still used it when she came home, same dosage as in the hospital, but I stopped it when she was about 2.5-3mos old b/c we are VERY VERY fortunate she had no lasting lung issues and I did not want to give her a med unless she really needed it. I never saw any adverse reaction at all with her, but she was very young.

Not sure if that helps at all, but those are our experiences.