Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
kerme17
Registered Users

please help - awful mildew smell when baby pees

I dont know what else to do...so so frustrating! My son is almost 4 weeks old and for the first 2 weeks everything diaper related (smell wise) was going great. I was with Rockin Green and had no issues. Sometime during the third week though I noticed a really REALLY strong mildew smell the second he would pee in his diapers. They didnt smell like mildew coming out of the wash, and smelled great coming out of the dryer, but once he peed it would stink of mildew.

I tried bleaching them and using oxyclean (three times actually) and nothing has worked. I've tried drying them through 3 70 minute hot dryer cycles and nothing is working. I am so frustrated and am scared to wash any new diapers in the larger size as he grows since I'm worried the mildew smell will affect them too.

Any last suggestions before I have to throw these all away? I hate that my baby son smells like mildew! Ugh!! Makes this new mom want to burst into hormonal tears. Thanks!

Advertisement

kerme17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Dean7698
Registered Users
seller

Re: please help - awful mildew smell when baby pees

Try using baking soda and vinegar. That has always worked for me for smelly diapers. You could also try stripping with dawn dish soap.
Sarah Wife to Patrick,Mama to DD #1 12/14/2001,DD #2 08/04/2003,DD #3 12/28/2008, and DD #4 October 10,2010
Dean7698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Kimbokarrie
Registered Users
seller

I would try a soak/wash with a little extra soap and then follow up with a couple washes to give them a deep clean. Sunning might also help. I had that happen once with an AIO that wasn't getting dried enough. So it was in a constant state of wet all the time....
Old 11-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
jj's mom
Registered Users

I also had the same problem with Rockin' Green. I did several soaks in the tub with hot water and the detergent (the common stripping method) and the smell was still there. It was perfectly fine coming out of the washer, but smelled as soon as the baby pees. I just switched to Nellie's and the mildew is gone but now I am having an ammonia problem. Very frustrating. There is another Rockin' Green product called Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer that I am going to try. I really hope it works!
jj's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Try a really really hot wash with a goodly amount of Tide powder. If you can add soaking time, even better. Then 1-2 hot washes afterwards with no detergent as a super rinse.
poppan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
gardenmama76
Registered Users
seller

biokleen bac-out baby! stuff is expensive but magical!
gardenmama76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
elvenmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try Tide...gets stuff waay cleaner than Rockin Green.
elvenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I agree... go get some Tide. We could suggest a million and one complicated solutions and theories, but Tide will probably work great. Actually, any commercial detergent will probably do the job. You've just got prefolds so no special detergents are needed.

Although... before the Tide.. have you tried just using more RnG? And if you're not setting your water level in your machine to the highest level, do that too. I find if I don't use the most water possible my diapers just aren't as clean.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
dshoop
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hot wash/soak should kill any stinky bacteria. I don't have any stink issues now since only washing on super hot water. I'm a skeptic of the "build up" culprit. Just need to get those things really clean.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
Try a really really hot wash with a goodly amount of Tide powder. If you can add soaking time, even better. Then 1-2 hot washes afterwards with no detergent as a super rinse.
Ditto.

I switched to tide all the time now.Works great!

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote