Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When do you change to shoes with support?

DS is 15 months and is still wearing pedipeds with the leather soles. He's been walking since 10 months, so he's pretty steady right now, and walks pretty much everywhere I go (not all the time, but he always puts his feet down no matter where we end up).

I have really flat feet and have always had problems with them and sports (anything that involves running a ton), and so I don't really want him to suffer the same fate - I know it is best that kids learn how to walk with bare feet or as close to bare feet as possible.

In any case, I want to buy him some sandals - should I get some leather soled ones again, or should I get him sized sandals with support?

Thanks!

Advertisement

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Len27
Registered Users
seller

Re: When do you change to shoes with support?

I would look into something with more support that is still flexible- we liked the robeez tredz or mini shoez, and I also like the striderites that DD currently has- supportive but bendy still.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have more structured sandals during the summer, but otherwise we're in soft shoes until 2years. Or approximately size 7, which is approaching much quicker with DS3 than it did with his brothers.

I just bought DS3 some sandals yesterday. Usually I get Nike Sunrays, but I haven't found any good deals on those this time. But I found these three strap Osh Kosh sandals that have a flexible sole. They're great! I can't find any similar shoes online, but we got ours from Ross for $11. DS3 is also 15 mos old and he loves shoes.

Last edited by boy-oh-boy; 05-29-2010 at 05:16 PM.
boy-oh-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
amelia222
Registered Users

I got dd some stride rite shoes yesterday. she's 12 months and has been walking well for only about 2 months, but it's so rainy here she needed some good outside shoes to keep her feet dry. Soft shoes like robeez spin on her feet and make her trip so she needed some more structured shoes.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Maverick's Mama
Registered Users

My son is 13 months and also wears hard soled shoes. Like PP said, when its wet out soft soled shoes don't do much for us (and we are in Portland so its been wet pretty much since last September).

Kelsey!! Mama to Maverick born 04/05/09, a cloth diapering, but otherwise not THAT green kind of mommy http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kelseyeb1986 [url]http://zoombucks.com/join.php?ref=kelseyeb1986[url]
Maverick's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds is 15 months and in stride rite, dd was in stride rite at this age also. Just make sure the soles flex but offer support, at this age they don't need a ton of support since their little bodies don't weigh that much

By the way some people have flat feet while others have arches no matter the support. I have very high arches but love to go bare foot when ever possible and have always been that way, my shoes growing up were always the cheapies as well. My brother on the other hand has the flattest feet and he always had supportive shoes and wears out shoes in about 3 months. While I have some shoes that I have had for 14 years (since my brother was 2) of course they aren't everyday shoes but I still wear them.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i started putting supportive shoes on DS (stride rites and new balance tennis shoes) once he could walk well, so a few weeks to a month ago. i dont think the soft sole shoes do much for a walking toddler...i would be scared of DS stepping on a nail or something. before he could walk, and when he was just starting to take a few steps, he wore soft sole like robeez.

Last edited by stringbean02; 05-29-2010 at 07:35 PM.
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD3 started walking about a month ago, and we use hard sole shoes (since she started walking), mostly sandals when we go out. Around the house she wears soft sole shoes if any.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

DS1 walked at 10 months and we put him in a supportive shoe by 12 months. I think he had a pair prior to that but he still wore his soft soles a lot. My son has feet that turn in slightly and our pediatrician told us to always have his shoes fitted for him. I would never purchase shoes online or buy anything without having a fit check. We purchase all of his shoes at Clarks- they won't even sell their infant shoes online b/c they feel like children need a proper fit in the store.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Soft shoes for as long as I can. Baby feet don't need support, they need to be bare so they can develop the muscles. I keep my big kids in bare feet as much as I can too. Wish I could afford some good moccasins for them.