Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
whirlwindwoman
Banned

My Mood:
Re: When do you change to shoes with support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick's Mama View Post
My son is 13 months and also wears hard soled shoes. Like PP said, when its wet out soft soled shoes don't do much for us (and we are in Portland so its been wet pretty much since last September).
We are in Portland, too, but only switch to rubber boots when we are out for a length of time (Easter Egg hunt was the only time lately).

My guy wears Soft Stars, he has one pair of Robeez Tredz (they have a rubber sole), and I'm getting some more of those Shoe Zoo shoes from the coop here (loved those, he wore them all summer last year!).

Several studies have come out showing that barefoot is best, and some runners even have taken up wearing "barefoot" shoes. Not to mention, that Charlie often throws a fit having to wear regular shoes (he will wear the rubber boots, tho).

So at 19 months, I don't see an end to wearing soft soled shoes. We might readdress it around preschool.

Advertisement

whirlwindwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:

DD is almost 19 mos & we are still in soft shoes here. She does have 1 pair of sandals with harder soles but they're softer rubber, so more flexible than "hard soled" shoes. I'm going to keep her in soft shoes for as long as possible. She plays around the house & out in the yard in bare feet. My oldest ds was in hard soled shoes before he could walk & he had all sorts of "turning in" issues with his feet.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
Hcm1940
Registered Users

I kept my dd in the soft soled Pedipeds until she outgrew the biggest size (18-24 mo) at 2 yrs. I was sad when we had to say goodbye to those shoes! Lol.
Hcm1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
mandyhoward
Registered Users

We have a pair of flexible soled sandals, but my ds doesn't wear them much. He's pretty much a barefoot or soft soled guy.

I have a little kid in my room at work who's parents had her in hard soles from the time she was crawling. The developmental lady was in one day and mentioned how bow-legged she was and said it was probably from wearing hard soles. So we stick with the soft stuff as long as possible.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Yeah, I'd find something with flexible soles if at all possible. My goal was at least two, and we made it. He's still in See Kai Run, Livie and Luca, or this other pair of flexible fisher price shoes I found. I bought him hard soled sandals a couple of weeks ago (cause we couldn't afford the pricier shoes) but he hasn't worn them and I'm taking them back. Summer time, he will go bare foot unless we go out, so I guess it wouldn't be too huge a deal for his "Sunday sandals" to be hard soled...

It's tough making all these decisions!