Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
PLing dilema. Help, Please?

We've been working on PL with my 2.5yo this week. He's doing pretty well. He's gone in the potty (well, on it at least) all afternoon yesterday and all this morning. He woke up last night and during his nap because he was wet or dirty and asked to potty (he was in a diaper both times). And when he went down to finish his nap, I put him in underwear. He woke up two hours later dry and asking to potty.
So knowing this, what do we do at church tomorrow? We drive an hour to church, and tomorrow we have potluck and singing in addition to morning service. I'm so proud of him so far, and I don't want to make him regress by putting him in a diaper all day, but I also don't want to discourage him by putting him in a situation where he's likely to have accidents.
Any thoughts?
TIA!

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PLing dilema. Help, Please?

I always err on the side of believing in my child until they prove otherwise.
I don't think PLing kiddos once put in undies, should ever be put in a diaper again while during waking hours. Now overnight, that's a tad debateable as they aren't concious of what they are doing. Sometimes they don't understand that they can get up to pee(how often have you told them "get back in bed" because they were messing around?) or maybe they are still in a crib. So nights is different. At least until they start waking up dry or understand they can get up to go of their own choosing overnight.
However, I would just take the potty along with us. Go before you leave. Go when you get there. Go about 20-30 minutes after drinking. Ask occasionally. Watch for fidgetyness. Take some new clothes. Have him sit on your lap. You'll feel him squirming when he's gotta go. He doesn't want to pee on you too!
I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!
My 2.5 yo just PL'd a few weekends ago. It's like he never wore diapers, he did so great! I just take a potty wherever we go & make sure I watch for squirmy.
He hates to be made go when he doesn't have to(like say it's been 2 hours and mama thinks he should try at least). That didn't work out so well. He knows when he has to go. I say trust him until he shows you he doesn't deserve it.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I'd have him in underwear and have a change of clothes (or 2) with me for emergencies. If he goes to a nursery during church, warn them and give them a change of clothes.

I also don't like going back-and-forth once they're on their way.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

We are starting on June 6th (a Sunday) and depending on how it is going may not leave the house for a week. I have a friend that did potty training boot camp for an entire week with her son and by the end he was totally potty trained. I am planning to do underwear from that point on and diapers only at bedtime and naptime. We won't go to church or life group on Sunday the 6th and may not go the Sunday after if I feel he doesn't need to leave the house.

Also, I purchased this:

http://www.diapers.com/Product/Produ...productId=6665

I figured we could pull over and he could go potty in the back of the van. I totally agree that I want to set him up for success and I don't want our schedule throwing him off. I think carrying around a potty where he can always 'go' when he needs to will help.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Okay, today did not go well at all. He refused to go before we left (he knew he didn't have to), and stayed dry all morning and all the way there. I go in to check on him after Sunday School, and he was in a diaper. He was on his last pair of pants, after having one pee and one poop accident. Got home and put him in underwear again, and asked him cinstantly if he needed to go. He stayed dry, and then peed as soon as he sat in his booster chair to eat.
I'm thinking we might try again in a few weeks? We have VBS coming up, and we aren't going to go, so I'll have six days at home with him.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
ummabbaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think your day went better than you think. If you left him in DC he may not have felt secure enough to tell the people he had to go to the bathroom. Alot of activity makes kids forget. They don't want to miss a moment and will go to the bathroom on themselves. Kids tend to go back and forth when they first start, sometimes they just don't feel like going. I can't say I wouldn't put him back in a diaper, I would. Just keep up your routine like he is in underwear. I think it will confuse him more if you just give up, it might also make him feel bad.

My 3 yr old still wears pull ups, I just remind him that he's a big boy. Just because he has a pull-up/diaper on doesn't mean he can use it, he's not a baby like that anymore. If we are going out I put one on him because he falls asleep in the car & just incase we are driving, I tell him to 'hold it' or wait. If he has an accident we don't have to worry about a wet/dirty carseat.