Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow, I feel like a BAD mommy...

DD just learned how to climb out of her crib, so this is our 2nd night in a toddler bed. For whatever reasons, she decided to be WIDE AWAKE. I led with her, bounced her, for over an hour. Finally, I gave her a sippy cup and her 'lamby' and left to see if maybe she'd drift off like she has done for the last 8 months! ( We have been partial co-sleeping for that long, she comes in bed with us when she wakes up, before was full time)

She kept getting out of bed, so I'd go and put her back in, rock her, and leave... since sitting with her was NOT helping.

After going on 2 hours... I am feeling frustrated. So when I heard her messing with the door knob, and saying 'mama, mama', I just called out 'Night night baby, get back in bed'

WELL.... I went and checked on her and couldn't open the door. She had fallen asleep right in front of the door. I feel terrible!!!!!!

I had to gently push the door and her to scoot in and lift her into bed!

Advertisement

Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
nkdmkmom
Registered Users

Re: Wow, I feel like a BAD mommy...

Don't feel badly - she didn't cry hysterically, she just fell asleep where she was at the time. I'm glad you were able to get the door open without waking her up, though
nkdmkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
FallBabies
Registered Users

If that makes you a "bad" mommy, well, then my kids are in serious trouble!
Honestly, I've seen them fall asleep all over their room; once was under a giant stuffed lion (I panicked when I opened the door and couldn't find E; then I saw his legs sticking out from under the 3' tall beast). We've had them in front of the door, in the corner, in the beanbag chair... all places that they've discovered on their own, of course!
Oh, don't worry, she'll probably fall out of bed a few times too. I can't speak for anyone else, but it happened here randomly for the first six months or so. We'd hear a small thud, peek in, and sure enough, a kid would be lightly crying in his sleep, laying on the floor (too out of it to actually get up, but aware enough to know that something wasn't quite right.) Pick 'em up, put 'em back in the bed... kids are durable!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nah, that's not bad at all! My son's done that before, too. He wasn't hysterical or anything. He didn't even cry. He just got out of his bed, and fell asleep by the door. It wasn't a big deal. I think a lot of kids do this once or twice.
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Your not a bad mom at all!!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:

DS1 upon getting his toddler bed would fall asleep about 50% of the time in front of his door. I had a gate on his door & we left the door open, so I would go to check on him & find him there. The best though? DS2 was "taking a nap" one day. I went in to find him & couldn't! Finally I found him 1/2 in & 1/2 out of his mesh laundry hamper! I took a picture of THAT one!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

oh man, that's bad? I'm in serious doo doo. My littlest has taken to climbing on her sister's bed(top bunk) and she fell out the other day at naptime and bruised up her back somethin' fierce. I looks like someone took a baseball bat to her. She didn't touch the floor so I didn't hear her out of bed. She climbed form her bed to the toybox and up to the top bunk. And she's just 2 1/2.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

My son did that for at least a month after the switch to a toddler bed. no worries mama.
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Apparently from the time I was 18 months until well past my second birthday I did this every single night. Mom got real good at opening the door without clocking me and carefully putting me back into bed. You're not a bad mom because your kid falls asleep on the floor.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
kittyn
Registered Users
seller

Mine falls asleep at the top of the stairs about one in five nights, and he's 4.

We lay him down, he fusses and gets slightly upset, calm him down again and explain that if he needs anyone we're right downstairs and will come up if he needs us. He then moves himself from his room to the hallway about a foot back from the top stairs. I'm guessing it's so he can hear us talking and such, but I don't think it's a 'bad mommy' thing. Just a goofy kid thing
kittyn is offline   Reply With Quote