Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
E&GMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How long does it take...

...to really come to LOVE CD'ing? I just decided in the past week to even start it. I had never really seriously considered it before, and then just read something about it, and decided to try it. So I started my stash with 5 sized FuzziBunz that I bought off of craigslist. They are working ok for us so far, but I'm occasionally getting a little bit of leaking at the legs (although I'm told this may possibly be more likely when she's wearing a onesie.) I've got a couple more on the way that I've bought on FSOT, to try a couple different brands. I think she looks adorable in them, and I'm already addicted to reading posts on here, looking at what people are selling, etc., but I can't yet say that I am in love with CD'ing itself. I'm not sure if it's because I'm still so new that I don't quite feel like I know everything about what I'm doing yet, or what. But I've had a few moments where I've thought, "what was I thinking?" It also might be that I haven't moved into it full time yet since I only have 5 diapers so far. It still seems "easier" to just use disposables. Don't get me wrong...I'm going to stick with it for a while at least now that I've started making the investment in it. I really do like the idea of saving money along with all the other plusses that go with this...I just want to start loving it as much as it seems everyone else does!

Advertisement

E&GMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long does it take...

Fuzzi bunz are just not that exciting! They are plastic, and although you get the money saving and environment saving...and some of the cuteness factor, you dont get the soft cloth of bamboo velour fitteds, or the cute fabric choices of the designer or WAHM fitteds....you arent getting the wool love or all the super cool fleece clothes out there.....so, Fuzzibunz are a good place to start, but until you find something that works for you and really makes YOU feel the love...well, it is just a diaper.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

I totally agree with her ... I started with fuzzi bunz and drybees I remember my first day i got the drybees i washed that sucker 3x that day so he could wear it over and over but after that until i got a good dozen i still thought disposables were easier b/c i still used the most after i got that first dozen and cut the sposies out for a day i loved cloth and then i got leaks and issues so i switched to the nice fitteds mentioned above and i never looked back and i dread using sposies ........... now I am using Flips and Econobum mostly so plain but I am totally over using cloth for cuteness now its all about functionability to me (probably b/c i have 2 in cloth full time) ... Good luck !!! Enjoy your search

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

Fuzzi Bunz leaked for us too when we had the sized ones. I have one of the OS ones and we are trying to get the fit down and I think it is better, but we are a BG family for the most part. I don't care about the fancy fitteds because they get covered anyway and they are bulky IMO, so it just goes to show that you have to find what YOU like best! I do like diapers with nice colors (like FB), but I also have a few minky pockets that I love for DD to run around in too, and they don't need a cover. When you find that diaper that fits your lo like a glove (ahem, BG Organics, ahem) or a system that works great for you, you will love it too! Oh, and if your baby is on solids, get a diaper sprayer! LOL!

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
E&GMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's probably another part of the issue for me right now....it's so overwhelming! Besides just the different kinds of diapering systems, I can't even believe how many WAHM made diapers are out there...I've looked on Hyena Cart and Etsy a little bit, and I don't even know where to start! I don't really have a lot of money to put into this at one time so I'm trying to try a few at a time to see what I like. I know that I can always resell anything that I'm not sure of, though, so that's good.
E&GMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by E&GMommy View Post
That's probably another part of the issue for me right now....it's so overwhelming! Besides just the different kinds of diapering systems, I can't even believe how many WAHM made diapers are out there...I've looked on Hyena Cart and Etsy a little bit, and I don't even know where to start! I don't really have a lot of money to put into this at one time so I'm trying to try a few at a time to see what I like. I know that I can always resell anything that I'm not sure of, though, so that's good.
I still have this problem. I found diapers that we love, but I can't help myself from looking at everything else just in case it could somehow be just as wonderful!

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

for me the love came when i found a diaper i absolutely loved (BGOS 2.0 then). they were so easy and absorbent and with cute colors, i loved using them. After that I was hooked. I first tried some used FB and they leaked. I tried some fitteds and didnt know I need to change them more often so I thought they werent absorbent and the same with prefolds. Im really glad I found the BGOS, otherwise I might not have come to love cloth so much!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

you might be having problems with your diapers because they need to be stripped. Pockets and aios are known for having the need to be stripped every once and a while. It's from build up on the diapers. Google it and it will tell you how to do it. It's simple. If you are on a budget you can buy a few dozen prefolds and just trifold them into a cover. We have less leaks with prefolds and cover then with pockets. Just keep it simple. I do think there is WAY too much info on cloth diaper lol. It can give you a headache but it's really simple. You'll like it more once you see how much money you are saving
Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
yomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Took me a little while to feel the love, especially as I had 2 in diapers when I first started out but once I got the hang of it and found what worked for us, I loved it. For us it was fitteds and wool. I never got the hang of pockets and didn't like what they're made of. But as all the pp's said, once you find what works best for you, you'll find the love!
yomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #10
days_fly_by
Registered Users

My Mood:

The love kind of crept over me. I had so much negative feedback about CDing while I was still pregnant, that I was actually scared to CD at one point. I really wanted my 12+ week maternity leave though, and knew it would all be unpaid, so I committed myself to cloth for just those weeks of leave. I still remember how scared I was putting the first CD on my DS, I was totally thinking along the lines of "what have I gotten myself into??". But it was okay, you know? We started out using prefolds, because that's what I could afford the most of. I didn't love the prefolds much at the time, but it was okay - doable. I also had purchased a lot of 22 used Mother-ease One Size fitteds while still pregnant and once he got up over the 12 lb. mark we started using those and I pretty much abandoned the prefolds (well they became burp cloths for my big spitter, so still useful ) - and *that* is when CD love first blossomed for me.

I also had eight one size pocket diapers that I had gotten from a start-up company that was intro'ing them at $8/each, never did love those. After I went back to work I invested in a bunch of FuzziBunz One Size pocket diapers because the reviews were so great on them. HATE them. Leaks around the legs ALL. THE. TIME. I just use those as daycare dipes now.

But my fervent love of Mother-ease fitted diapers is still going strong all these months later. Sold off my starter stash, bought all new bamboo One Size and Sandy's. Freaking LOVE them all.
days_fly_by is offline   Reply With Quote