Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

My DS talks "like a sailor"... HELP!

So what did you do to get your LO to stop swearing?! My ODS is 21mo and he talks pretty good and catches on even better! Tonight we were getting ready for bed and I put him in his pack n play (at my mom's house) and he hits the side and says "fut" which we all know what that was! Then he said the "s" word for the first time about a month ago in the car when I hit the brakes.

Obviously I must have said "S" when driving so that's my fault and I know the other one came from his fathers bad choice in movies around him (which will happen no more) but how do you make sure he doesn't do it again?!

Advertisement

Last edited by Crew&West; 05-31-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My DS talks "like a sailor"... HELP!

At that young of an age, I'd probably just ignore it. He doesn't know what he's saying, but as you realized already, he's parroting what he's heard. Take care what you and others say around him and encourage the "good" words that he says while ignoring the ones that aren't so nice.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Well on the plus side it sounds like your toddler has an extensive vocabulary!

I agree with the PP just ignore it. If he doesn't hear it around the house anymore and he doesn't get a reaction he will probably drop it.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

If you make a big deal out of it he will do it more just for the reaction. Just simply say that is a naughty word and leave it at that. And definately watch your own mouths from now on!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
Weecycled Woolies
Registered Users
seller

Dude, my son is 21 mos. and only says about 5 words. I can't imagine if any of them were swear words!

The obvious answer would be to watch your mouth
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
cathrynapple
Registered Users

I'm going to agree with the previous commenter - stop swearing around him and he'll stop swearing.
cathrynapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasbaby View Post
At that young of an age, I'd probably just ignore it. He doesn't know what he's saying, but as you realized already, he's parroting what he's heard. Take care what you and others say around him and encourage the "good" words that he says while ignoring the ones that aren't so nice.
yeah that
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
flutterbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: stephanie23
seller

Another thing to try is to say silly words when you slam on the brakes or something. That way he will just be saying silly words. And I agree with pp to ignore the naughty words because drawing any attention to it will likely make it worst.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Ignore. My yds said F-you to me last week and I just about fainted. I had told him to do something and he didn't want to so I told him again and he siad that. I cried!! I don't say that word and my dh doesn't say it around the kids. The older boys however......it's kind of a trickle down effect as far as I can tell. The older ones said it to my 7 year old then him and his 6 year old cousin were saying it to my 2 year old, them wham. He was also saying sh!t in the proper context and damn. I told all the kids ot ignore it when he says it and if I heard them saying it, they were getting hot sauce in their mouths and standing in the corner for an hour. I guess that threat was enough because I haven't heard any of them cuss since then and the baby quickly forgot those words. Or at least he hasn't said them in several days.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Could you turn fut into foot and "s" into sit? Like act like you don't know what he's saying lol DD has a huge vocab but I can't imagine dirty words coming outta that sweet lil mouth.